Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Numerical solution of SE

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    Hi there!
    I have to numerically solve the Schroedinger equation for a particle in a static magnetic field. Until now I've used the split operator technique using the Fourier transform. The problem is that this technique requires that the hamiltonian operator can be decoupled as:
    [tex]H(\vec x, \vec p)=H_1(\vec x)+H_2(\vec p)[/tex]
    and so I can split it in two parts which are diagonal in the coordinate representation and in the momentum representation respectively.
    The problem with a magnetic field is that the hamiltonian contains a term:
    [tex](p_x+By)^2[/tex]
    and so it can't be split.
    So, what technique can I use to numerically solve the Schroedinger equation?
    The website "Visual Quantum Mechanics" (http://www.kfunigraz.ac.at/imawww/vqm/movies.html [Broken])
    says:
    "A Gaussian wave function exp(-x^2/2) corresponds to a particle at rest if there is no external field. Did you know that in a constant magnetic field this wave packet describes a moving particle? The center of the wave packet moves on a circle which goes precisely through the origin (assuming that the vector potential is given in the Poincaré gauge)."
    What does this mean? Can I use this fact to solve the Schroedinger equation using the split operator technique?
    And what about the "particle-method" technique? Do you know it? It can be used for a magnetic field?

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted