Numerical Stability of PDE

In summary, the speaker is retaking a CFD class and is attempting to numerically solve the unsteady laminar flow equation in a pipe as extra credit. The discretization of the equation involves time and spatial derivatives, but the stability analysis is complicated by a constant term that they are unsure how to eliminate. They have consulted their professor for guidance.
Aero51
I took a CFD class last semester (had to leave school though due to personal garbage). I am making a come back this fall and as some extra credit I am trying to numerically solve the unsteady laminar flow equation in a pipe. The equation is

[itex] \dot{U} + U'' + K = 0[/itex]
where dots denote the time derivative and primes denote spatial derivatives (in this case the radius, r)

The discretization of the equation is:
[itex](U^{n+1}_{i}-U^{n}_{i})/\Delta T + (U^{n}_{i+1} - 2U^{n}_i+U^n_{i-1})/(\Delta R)^2 + K[/itex]

However, when I try to do the stability analysis I get this really ugly problem:
[itex]CFL = 1-2{\Delta T}/(\Delta R)^2 * (cosh(\Delta R)-1)-K\Delta T e^{i K_m R}[/itex]

Any ideas how to eliminate that last euler number to make the stability analysis more feasible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Update: I am going to try to take the natural log and multiply by its conjugate base and see what happens

Since you are already retaking this class, I would just look up the answer. You have tried your hardest to solve it, now find the answer. It just isn't worth the energy to get stuck on something like this.

PS. And of course I mean, find the answer and try to understand it, read more online, etc.

I talked it over with my professor, he actually wasn't sure how to deal with the constant term either. However, he did mention that he was certain the stability analysis was only dependent on the unsteady and viscus terms. Also, I had a coefficient negative when it should have been positive...

I am glad to hear that you are making a comeback and taking on the challenge of numerically solving the unsteady laminar flow equation in a pipe. The equation you have provided is a common form of the Navier-Stokes equation, which is a fundamental equation in fluid dynamics.

The numerical stability of partial differential equations (PDEs) is an important aspect to consider when solving them numerically. It ensures that the numerical solution accurately represents the behavior of the physical system being modeled. In the case of unsteady PDEs, stability refers to the ability of the numerical method to maintain accuracy over a long time period.

The discretization of the equation you have provided is known as the Forward Time Centered Space (FTCS) method. It is a commonly used method for solving unsteady PDEs, but it does have some limitations when it comes to stability. The CFL (Courant-Friedrichs-Lewy) condition you have mentioned is a way to determine the time step size that will ensure numerical stability. It is based on the maximum signal speed in the system, which in this case is the wave speed.

The term involving the Euler number (e) in your stability analysis is due to the use of the FTCS method. This term can cause instability in the numerical solution, as it introduces a growth factor that can amplify numerical errors. There are various ways to eliminate this term, such as using a different numerical method or modifying the discretization scheme.

One approach you could try is using a different numerical method, such as the Crank-Nicolson method, which is known to be unconditionally stable for linear PDEs. Another option is to modify the FTCS method by introducing a damping term, which can help reduce the growth factor and improve stability.

In conclusion, the numerical stability of PDEs is a crucial aspect to consider when solving them numerically. It is important to carefully select the numerical method and discretization scheme to ensure accurate and stable solutions. I encourage you to continue exploring different methods and approaches to improve the stability of your numerical solution. Good luck with your project!

1. What is numerical stability in the context of PDEs?

Numerical stability refers to the ability of a numerical method to produce accurate results when solving partial differential equations (PDEs). It ensures that small errors in the initial data or in the computation process do not significantly affect the final solution.

2. Why is numerical stability important in solving PDEs?

Numerical stability is important because it ensures the reliability and accuracy of the solutions obtained through numerical methods. Without stability, the results may be significantly different from the true solution and may even be completely incorrect.

3. How do you determine if a numerical method is stable for solving PDEs?

A numerical method is considered stable if it produces a result that is close to the true solution and does not drastically change with small variations in the input data. This can be determined through numerical analysis techniques such as stability analysis and von Neumann stability analysis.

4. What are some common causes of numerical instability in PDEs?

Numerical instability can be caused by various factors such as using an inappropriate numerical method, using a large time or spatial step size, and rounding errors in the computation process. It can also arise from the inherent properties of the PDE itself, such as stiffness or high oscillations in the solution.

5. How can numerical stability be improved in solving PDEs?

To improve numerical stability, it is important to choose a suitable numerical method for the specific PDE and to use appropriate step sizes. It may also be helpful to implement techniques such as adaptive time-stepping or higher-order numerical schemes. Additionally, reducing the effects of rounding errors through careful programming and using high-precision arithmetic can also improve stability.