Calculating Nusselt No. for Natural Gas Pipeline

In summary, to calculate the convective heat transfer coefficient, you would need to know the gas temperature, the pipe ID, the gas saturation, the gas surface tension, and the pipe diameter.
codicil
Hello I need to calculate the nusselt number for natural gas in a buried pipeline. My question is how to calculate the convective heat transfer co efficient?
The data is 220000m3/h, pipe ID 35", gas temperature 100C and ground temperature is 4C, gas SG 0.65, k = 0.037 W/m-K, R= 441 J/kg-K, CP = 2016 J/Kg-K, gama = 1.28

Engineering news on Phys.org
codicil said:
Hello I need to calculate the nusselt number for natural gas in a buried pipeline. My question is how to calculate the convective heat transfer co efficient?
The data is 220000m3/h, pipe ID 35", gas temperature 100C and ground temperature is 4C, gas SG 0.65, k = 0.037 W/m-K, R= 441 J/kg-K, CP = 2016 J/Kg-K, gama = 1.28

Do you mean the convective coefficient for the outside of the pipeline? Or are you trying to find a temperature distribution inside the pipe?

I am trying to find temperature distribution inside the pipe. I guess nusselt number associate with the flow of the liquid and it take convective heat transfer co-efficient within the fluid and not between wall and fluid, please correct me if I am wrong.

Nusselt number's general description: Dimensionless temperature gradient at the surface of a convection flow (not limited to internal flow).

There are several methods of dertermining or estimating the thermal distribution in a fluid traveling through a pipe of a different temperature. you will have to decide if the flow if fully developed or if you are within the hydrodynamic entrance region, and what sort of things you can assume about the flow such as incompressible, laminar/turbulent, constant pipe wall temperature, things like that.

One thing you might look into is the Momentum and Heat Transfer Analogy, a.k.a. the Reynolds Analogy. This analogy can give you an estimate of the fluid's temperature distribution based on its velocity distribution. Otherwise, The differential equation describing the heat flux in the fluid could get you to where you want to go.

well that is the problem I was not given any diffrential eq. all I was given is the above data

Is this a homework problem? Do you have a textbook of some kind that lays out such equations for you?

1. What is Nusselt Number?

The Nusselt Number is a dimensionless number used to calculate the convective heat transfer coefficient for a fluid flow over a surface.

2. How do you calculate Nusselt Number for a natural gas pipeline?

The Nusselt Number for a natural gas pipeline can be calculated using the formula Nu = (hL)/k, where h is the convective heat transfer coefficient, L is the characteristic length of the pipeline, and k is the thermal conductivity of the gas.

3. What is the characteristic length for a natural gas pipeline?

The characteristic length for a natural gas pipeline is the hydraulic diameter, which is calculated by taking the ratio of four times the cross-sectional area to the wetted perimeter.

4. How does the Nusselt Number affect the heat transfer in a natural gas pipeline?

The Nusselt Number is directly proportional to the convective heat transfer coefficient, which determines the rate of heat transfer in a natural gas pipeline. A higher Nusselt Number means a higher convective heat transfer coefficient and therefore a higher rate of heat transfer.

5. What factors can affect the Nusselt Number for a natural gas pipeline?

The Nusselt Number can be affected by factors such as the gas flow rate, pipe roughness, gas properties (such as viscosity and thermal conductivity), and the geometry and orientation of the pipeline.