How High Was the Elevator When the Nut Fell?

• Thread starter SS2006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, the elevator was 107.5 metres high the instant the nut fell off. This can be calculated using the equation d = -0.5gt^2 + v0t + h, where t = 5s, g = -9.8 m/s^2, v0 = 3 m/s, and h is the initial height of the elevator. By plugging in these values and solving for h, we get h = 107.5 m.
SS2006
A nut falls off of an elevator moving upwards at 3 m/s. The nut takes 5 s to hit the ground.

Q) How high was the elevator the instant the nut fell off , the answer should be 107.5 metres

i solved this a few weeks ago, now i just can't remmeber it :( casue the test is in 2 days

Physics news on Phys.org
Ooops... Well on the bright side, I find solving a problem more than once, reinforces the concepts I'm learning..

How about posting what you have tried so far and show where you are getting stuck? There are many here, who can help steer you in the right direction.

well i just can't reach 107.5 m
ive tried v2=v1+at
and d = v1t + 1/2 at squared, the ones that worked last time, i think I am using the wrong numbers

[tex]v = v_0 + at[/tex]
&
[tex]v^2 - v_0 = 2as[/tex]

This is pretty straight forward,
simply plug your time (5s) into

[tex] d = - \frac {gt^2} 2 + V_0t + h[/tex]

What would your [itex]V_0[/itex] and h be?

Did you draw a diagram of your problem, with arrows indicating which direction velocity is moving, which direction acceleration is moving and positions of object?

Let's see, what does the first equation (v2=v1+at) tell you?
Given an intial velocity v1, and an acceleration a, it tells you an object's velocity after some time t.

But you are interested in height (or distance), so first equation doesn't do very much for you.

If you drew arrows indicating the direction of your variables on your initial diagram, you want to also indicate direction in your equation (up or right as + , down or left as -). Using this concept, make sure you use the appropriate signs + or - , in your 2nd equation.

1. What is the "Nut and Elevator Question"?

The "Nut and Elevator Question" is a thought experiment that presents a scenario where a person is in an elevator with a string attached to the ceiling, and a nut tied to the other end of the string. The question is, what happens to the nut when the elevator is in motion?

2. Is the "Nut and Elevator Question" a real scientific experiment?

No, the "Nut and Elevator Question" is not a real scientific experiment. It is a hypothetical scenario used to understand the concept of relative motion and the effects of different frames of reference.

3. What is the significance of the "Nut and Elevator Question" in science?

The "Nut and Elevator Question" is significant in science because it helps to explain the concept of relative motion and the role of different frames of reference in understanding the physical world. It also demonstrates the principles of Newton's First Law of Motion.

4. What happens to the nut in the "Nut and Elevator Question"?

In the "Nut and Elevator Question", the nut appears to be stationary to an observer inside the elevator, but it is actually moving in relation to an observer outside the elevator. This is due to the different frames of reference of the observers, and it demonstrates the principle of relative motion.

5. Can the "Nut and Elevator Question" be applied to real-life situations?

Yes, the principles demonstrated in the "Nut and Elevator Question" can be applied to real-life situations, such as understanding the motion of objects in different frames of reference, or designing transportation systems. It is a useful thought experiment in understanding the fundamentals of physics.