Exploring NV(-) Separation with a to r Transformation

In summary, the conversation is about the separation between NV(-) in a Nature paper. The distance is approximately 1.7 Angstroms and it was determined using the bond distance in diamond. The distance between N and V does not need to remain at the C-C bond distance, resulting in a change from 1.54 to 1.7 Angstroms.
Bram K
reading a Nature paper tonight, I read that the NV(-) separation is ~ 1.7Angstroms. There was no equation to show how they arrived at this. Any insight into how this was determined? I don't think there is a direct equation, but perhaps using a to r?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What does NV(-) stand for?

Ah, this is about nitrogen and vacancies. In lowest order, I would expect their distance to be equal to the bond distance in diamont 1,54 A. But there is no strong bond between the nitrogen and the vacancy, so the distance becomes larger.

Hi DrDu, I figured it was just the bond length of a C-N, since the vacancy is just a missing Carbon in the lattice. Which is what it looks like you have. I am looking at a crystal with no strian or pressure at 300K, so I think the 1,54A should be accurate unless you see otherwide.
Thanks!

The substitution of one C by N and one C by a vacancy breaks the symmetry. So there is no need for the distance between N and V to remain at the C-C bond distance. A change from 1.54 to 1.7 is not that much.

1. What is NV(-) Separation?

NV(-) Separation refers to the process of separating nitrogen and vanadium ions in a solution using a to r transformation. This transformation involves converting the ions into a homogeneous mixture, which can then be separated using various techniques.

2. Why is NV(-) Separation important in scientific research?

NV(-) Separation is important in scientific research because it allows for the isolation and study of specific ions in a solution. This can provide valuable insights into the properties and behaviors of these ions, which can then be applied to various fields such as materials science, environmental science, and medicine.

3. What is a to r transformation?

A to r transformation is a chemical reaction that converts nitrogen and vanadium ions into a homogeneous mixture. This reaction involves adjusting the pH level of the solution and adding a reducing agent, which allows the ions to form a complex that can be easily separated.

4. How is NV(-) Separation typically performed?

NV(-) Separation is typically performed by first preparing the solution with the desired ions. Then, a to r transformation is carried out to convert the ions into a homogeneous mixture. The mixture is then separated using techniques such as centrifugation, filtration, or chromatography.

5. What are the potential applications of NV(-) Separation?

NV(-) Separation has many potential applications in various fields of research. For example, it can be used to purify and study specific ions in environmental samples, to isolate and analyze trace elements in biological samples, and to produce high-purity materials for industrial use.