NYC Chemistry Regents Electron Configuration

In summary, finding the electron configuration of ions involves removing electrons and determining the energy levels of the remaining electrons to determine if it is in an excited state.
Shlr
Well, I have to find the electron configuration of ions. Relatively simple. But since I don't know how to do it, it's hard.

I've seen some past chemistry regents electron configurations and that's too complicated for me. I'm talking about e.c. like 2-8-2. That sort of electron configuration.

I need help on how to find out the electron configuration of cations and anions.

Does it have to do with removing electrons, like from 2-8-2 to 2-8-1.

Consider F- or H-. Or H2+. Since my computer can't do this, the -'s and +'s are like subsets. Smaller and on the top right corner.

EDIT: How do you tell if the electron configuration represents electrons in an excited state? Like how is 2-7-2 in an excited state? The one less electron?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The electron configuration of an ion usually involves removing electrons from the neutral atom's electron configuration. To determine whether an electron configuration is in an excited state, look at the energy levels of the electrons in the configuration. If the electrons occupy higher energy levels than the electrons in the neutral atom's electron configuration, then the electron configuration is in an excited state. For example, in the case of H2+, the electron configuration would be 1s1, which is in an excited state because the electrons are occupying a higher energy level than the 1s2 configuration of the neutral hydrogen atom.

1. What is the purpose of the NYC Chemistry Regents Electron Configuration exam?

The NYC Chemistry Regents Electron Configuration exam is a standardized test administered by the New York State Education Department to assess students' understanding of electron configuration, a fundamental concept in chemistry. It is a requirement for high school students in New York state who are taking chemistry as part of their curriculum.

2. What topics are covered in the NYC Chemistry Regents Electron Configuration exam?

The exam covers a range of topics related to electron configuration, including the Bohr model of the atom, the Aufbau principle, Hund's rule, and the Pauli exclusion principle. It also includes questions on electron configurations of elements, ions, and molecules, as well as how to write electron configuration notation using the periodic table.

3. How is the NYC Chemistry Regents Electron Configuration exam structured?

The exam consists of multiple-choice and constructed-response questions. Students are given 3 hours to complete the exam, which is divided into two sections. Part A contains multiple-choice questions and accounts for 50% of the total score, while Part B contains constructed-response questions and accounts for the remaining 50%. The exam is graded on a scale of 0-100, with a score of 65 or higher considered passing.

4. How can students prepare for the NYC Chemistry Regents Electron Configuration exam?

Students can prepare for the exam by reviewing their class notes, completing practice problems, and using study guides or review books specifically designed for the NYC Chemistry Regents exam. They can also attend review sessions offered by their school or hire a tutor to help them prepare for the exam.

5. What happens if a student does not pass the NYC Chemistry Regents Electron Configuration exam?

If a student does not pass the exam, they have the option to retake it during the next scheduled exam administration. They can also appeal their score through a score review process or take a local final exam offered by their school. If a student does not pass the exam after multiple attempts, they may need to complete a remedial course or retake the entire chemistry course in order to meet graduation requirements.