Nylon 5-12 Structure Drawing Tutorial

In summary, Borek suggests re-reading the Wikipedia article on nylon and checking out a forum post for more information about drawing the structure of nylon 5-12. He also mentions that the numbers in nylon names represent the number of carbon atoms in the repeating units. The diamines used in nylon 5-12 and nylon 4-10 are known for their unpleasant smell due to being decomposition products of proteins.
Nana00
Hello,

Can anyone tell me how to draw the structure of nylon 5-12 or what site could help me with this?

Thank you!

-N

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi Borek,

I did googled and Wiki nylon 5-12, I found the structure for nylon 6-10 and it has pentamethylene diamine and sebacic acid, but I'm confused about both to even know what should be added or removed for nylon 5-12.

Thanks.

So you have to reread wiki article, as it precisely and unambiguously explains what these numbers mean.

Man, I'd hate to be working in a plant that makes 5-10! The diamine, 1,5-pentanediamine, is also known as cadaverine. Cadaverine is a decomposition product of proteins (and Nylon 5-10, BTW) and smells like cadaver or Casey Anthony's trunk!

Probably not as bad as Nylon 4-10 though. It's diamine is 1,4-butanediamine and is known as putrescine, also derived from the decomposition of proteins and nylon 4-XX.

1. What is the chemical structure of Nylon 5-12?

Nylon 5-12, also known as poly(5,12-dodecanedioic acid), is a polymer with repeating units of 5 carbon and 12 carbon molecules. It has a linear structure and is classified as a polyamide.

2. How is Nylon 5-12 made?

Nylon 5-12 is made through a process called polycondensation, where the monomers of 5-aminopentanoic acid and 12-aminododecanoic acid are combined and undergo a series of reactions to form long chains of Nylon 5-12.

3. What are the properties of Nylon 5-12?

Nylon 5-12 is a strong and durable polymer with high tensile strength and low water absorption. It is also resistant to many chemicals and has a high melting point, making it suitable for a variety of applications.

4. What are the uses of Nylon 5-12?

Nylon 5-12 is commonly used in the production of fibers, films, and engineering plastics. It is also utilized in the manufacturing of medical devices, automotive parts, and coatings for electronic components.

5. How is the structure of Nylon 5-12 represented in a drawing?

The structure of Nylon 5-12 is typically represented in a drawing using a line notation, with alternating units of 5 carbon and 12 carbon molecules. The repeating units can also be depicted using ball-and-stick models or space-filling models.