1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Nyquist Criteria Stability

1. Dec 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    upload_2017-12-9_17-33-11.png

2. Relevant equations
    Number of encirclements = Number of open loop poles - Number of Close loop poles on Right side of S plane.

3. The attempt at a solution
    There is 1 open loop pole on RHS
    For Close loop poles I used Routh Herwitz method and got 1 pole on RHS. 1 sign change.
    So I get N = 0.
    Where am I wrong?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2017 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Why are you trying to deal with closed-loop poles? Nyquist is strictly an open-loop stability criterion. G(s) is the open-loop transfer function.

4. Dec 9, 2017 #3
    Nyquist criteria says encirclement of -1 + j0 is number of open loop poles - series of characteristic equation.
    Characteristic equation is 1 + G(s)

5. Dec 9, 2017 #4

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What do you mean by "series of characteristic equation"?
    The Nyquist method does not involve closed-loop transfer functions.
    Nyquist determines whether the closed-loop transfer function is stable but its methodology does not involve any closed-loop transfer functions.

6. Dec 9, 2017 #5

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I see from your attachment that in some cases they do consider closed-loop RHS poles, in others they stick to open-loop only.
    I have to admit I never heard of doing Nyquist analysis with anything other than open-loop transfer functions. Seems to me undesirable to have to compute 1 + G(s).
    So the only way I know to do this is
    (1) determine the Re and Im parts of G
    (2) draw polar plot of G
    (3) follow rules of Nyquist stability determination.
    Sorry that's all I can tell you.

7. Dec 9, 2017 #6
    Sorry for the typo. It was 'zeroes' of characteristic equation and not 'series'. But yeah you're right. I read the question wrong. It says encircle the origin and not encircle -1

8. Dec 10, 2017 #7

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. I have to admit I don't know on what basis the solution to ex. 39 is given.
    If G(s) is an open-loop transfer function then the thing that matters for determining stability of G(s)+1 is encirclement of G(s) of (-1,0), not (0,0). In other words, I guess I really don't understand their reasoning.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted