Sketching Nyquist Diagrams for Transfer Functions: A Helpful Guide"

In summary, the conversation discussed the process of sketching Nyquist diagrams for transfer functions. The participant struggled with understanding the concept of mapping GH(jw) in the complex plane, but with some guidance, they were able to factor the transfer function and plot points on the diagram. They also received advice on choosing appropriate frequency values for the calculations.
Neofit

Homework Statement

I need to be able to sketch Nyquist diagrams for transfer functions. I spent a lot of time but I cannot wrap my head around the idea of mapping the GH(jw) in the complex plane. Let's consider the following example for this question:
[tex]GH(s) = \frac{4} {s(s+2)^2}[/tex]

2. The attempt at a solution
The transfer function is factored as [tex] \frac{4}{jw}\times\frac{1}{jw+2}\times\frac{1}{jw+2} [/tex]
[tex] MAG \frac{4}{jw}=\frac{4}{w}; ARG=\frac{-pi}{2} [/tex]
[tex] MAG \frac{1}{jw+2}=\frac{1}{ \sqrt{w^2\times2^2} }; ARG=-tan^-1{w} [/tex]
Then I make a table for all three elements of the transfer function and calculate their magnitude and angle for some values of frequency, including zero and infinity. After that, I convert the resultant polar coordinates to rectangular and plot them. This is what I understand I need to do, and it is not working.

I have had only one lecture on this topic and did not had a chance to ask the professor anything. Please offer some help - I really need it! An example on how to sketch the above TF's Nyquist diagram will be very appreciated. Also, how can I decide what frequency values to use in the calculation?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know Nyquist diagrams, but anyway I will suggest:

H(s) = 4/(s(s+2)2) =>
H(s) = 4/(s(s2+4s+4)) =>
H(s) = 4/(s3+4s2+4s)

Now substitute s by jω and do some calculations

H(jω) = 4/(-4ω2+j(4ω-ω3))

Say ω=1, you will get

H(jω) = 4/(-4+j3) = (-0.64 - j0.48) No ARG, no MAG, just plot it as is.
Neofit said:
how can I decide what frequency values to use in the calculation?
Well, try ω=0, 1, 2, 3 . . .
If a too big hole appears between 1 and 2 then try a value in the middle.

Last edited:
Likes Neofit
Thank you very much! Because of your explanation I finally understand how to do the diagrams.

1. What is a Nyquist diagram?

A Nyquist diagram is a graphical representation of the frequency response of a transfer function. It shows the relationship between the magnitude and phase of the output of a system to a range of input frequencies.

2. Why is it important to sketch Nyquist diagrams?

Nyquist diagrams are helpful in understanding the stability and performance of a system. They allow us to visualize the behavior of a system at different frequencies and identify potential issues such as oscillations or instability.

3. How do I sketch a Nyquist diagram for a transfer function?

To sketch a Nyquist diagram, you will need to plot the complex values of the transfer function for a range of frequencies. This can be done by substituting different values of s (complex frequency) into the transfer function and plotting the resulting complex numbers on a graph.

4. What information can I gather from a Nyquist diagram?

A Nyquist diagram can provide information about the stability, gain margin, and phase margin of a system. It can also help in designing controllers to improve the performance of a system.

5. Are there any limitations to using Nyquist diagrams?

Nyquist diagrams are limited to linear time-invariant systems and do not account for nonlinearities or time-varying systems. They also assume that the system operates in the frequency domain, which may not always be the case in real-world applications.