Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Nyquist Sampling Rate

1. Nov 1, 2014 #1
    I have tried calculating sampling rates for signals like sinc(200pi t). It was simple and I thought I understood until I cam accross signals like sinc(200πt)*sinc2(400πt).

I need help with finding sampling rate of these kind of signals and get a clear concept on the topic.

Thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 1, 2014 #2
    You need to sample twice as fast as the highest frequency you expect to see. You also have multiplication of signals which makes their bandwidths add. So, in this case, I think you have to sample at ##2\left( 200\pi + 400\pi + 400\pi\right) = 2000\pi ##rad/s, or 1000 Hz.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
  4. Nov 1, 2014 #3
    Here is a problem set with solutions that may help.

http://www.ee.columbia.edu/~mvp/e3801/hwk8_sols.pdf [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  5. Nov 2, 2014 #4
    But the adding of frequencies didnt worked for 10cos3 (2π102t). For this signal the sampling frequency is 400 hz

6. Nov 2, 2014 #5

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Who is more likely to be wrong - Nyquist or the guy who wrote the answer to the set problem? I guess that is what you are quoting, here. The answer in the book must be to another problem (quite possible). What answer did you get, btw?
    There are examples when sub-nyquist sampling can work without impairment but this is not one of them.

7. Nov 2, 2014 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook