Math Education at NYU: Admissions Requirements

In summary: I don't think so. They have a very selective admissions process, but I don't know about their other undergraduate programs.
thrill3rnit3
Gold Member
How is the math education in NYU (undergrad pure and applied)?? I know they have this courant institute but I want to hear first hand opinions about their math program.

Also, how tough is it to make it to NYU?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm particularly interested in its Applied Math program.

anyone?

Not first hand, but they are particularly great at applied maths with some renowned applied mathematicians on their faculty.

I've heard that for grad school in applied math, NYU is among the best (they have many of the some of the best faculty members). Like JinN I haven't actually attended through, I heard this from an applied math professor. I don't know about their undergrad program but I assume that its not bad.

Thanks for the replies. Do you think it would be hard to get in? I mean, compared to schools like Harvard or MIT?

If you could post your profile, people would be able to help you better. From what I hear, NYU is the _best_ in Applied Math. Also, their program is very, very selective. But if your background is good enough to be considering the top tier (Harvard, MIT, etc.), then I don't seen any reason why you shouldn't apply to NYU.

BTW.. Harvard in Applied Math? I don't know. At least it does not feature in the US News rankings.

Warlord88 said:
If you could post your profile, people would be able to help you better. From what I hear, NYU is the _best_ in Applied Math. Also, their program is very, very selective. But if your background is good enough to be considering the top tier (Harvard, MIT, etc.), then I don't seen any reason why you shouldn't apply to NYU.

BTW.. Harvard in Applied Math? I don't know. At least it does not feature in the US News rankings.

I was just asking about its undergrad admission rate and comparing it to Harvard's.

does NYU have special admissions for their undergrad math program? they're supposed to be one of the best for graduate applied math, but I don't thnk their other undergraduate programs are that hard (compared to ivy leagues and MIT) to get into.

1. What are the admissions requirements for the Math Education program at NYU?

To be admitted into the Math Education program at NYU, students must have a strong academic background in mathematics, with a minimum of a B average in math courses. They must also have a minimum GPA of 3.0 and a completed undergraduate degree. GRE scores are not required, but may be submitted to strengthen the application.

2. Is there a specific math subject area that is preferred for admission into the program?

While there is no specific subject area that is required for admission, it is recommended that students have a strong foundation in algebra, geometry, and calculus. Additionally, experience in teaching or tutoring mathematics is highly valued.

3. Are there any pre-requisite courses that must be completed before applying to the program?

There are no specific pre-requisite courses, but students are expected to have completed a minimum of 12 credits in math courses at the undergraduate level, including calculus and linear algebra.

4. Are there any additional application materials or requirements for the Math Education program?

In addition to the standard graduate application, students must also submit a personal statement outlining their interest in math education, a resume or CV, and at least two letters of recommendation. International students must also provide proof of English proficiency.

5. Is the Math Education program at NYU only for future teachers?

The Math Education program at NYU is designed for individuals who are interested in teaching mathematics at the secondary or community college level. However, it is also open to students who are interested in pursuing careers in curriculum development, educational research, or other related fields.