1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

NYU Math

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

How is the math education in NYU (undergrad pure and applied)?? I know they have this courant institute but I want to hear first hand opinions about their math program.

Also, how tough is it to make it to NYU?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 19, 2009 #2

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I'm particularly interested in its Applied Math program.

4. Apr 20, 2009 #3

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

anyone?

5. Apr 20, 2009 #4
    Not first hand, but they are particularly great at applied maths with some renowned applied mathematicians on their faculty.

6. Apr 20, 2009 #5
    I've heard that for grad school in applied math, NYU is among the best (they have many of the some of the best faculty members). Like JinN I haven't actually attended through, I heard this from an applied math professor. I don't know about their undergrad program but I assume that its not bad.

7. Apr 20, 2009 #6

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

Thanks for the replies. Do you think it would be hard to get in? I mean, compared to schools like Harvard or MIT?

8. Apr 23, 2009 #7
    If you could post your profile, people would be able to help you better. From what I hear, NYU is the _best_ in Applied Math. Also, their program is very, very selective. But if your background is good enough to be considering the top tier (Harvard, MIT, etc.), then I don't seen any reason why you shouldn't apply to NYU.

BTW.. Harvard in Applied Math? I don't know. At least it does not feature in the US News rankings.

9. Apr 23, 2009 #8

thrill3rnit3

Gold Member

I was just asking about its undergrad admission rate and comparing it to Harvard's.

10. Apr 23, 2009 #9
    does NYU have special admissions for their undergrad math program? they're supposed to be one of the best for graduate applied math, but I don't thnk their other undergraduate programs are that hard (compared to ivy leagues and MIT) to get into.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook