O2: How Much Do We REALLY Need?

• Thread starter Arctic Fox
  • Start date
In summary, oxygen is necessary for the human body to survive. Under normal circumstances, the body can tolerate deviations from the 21% atmospheric oxygen level, but at levels below 14-16% physiologic effects may occur. Above 16%, the effects are nausea, vomiting, inability to perform, and unconsciousness.
Arctic Fox
How much oxygen is absolutely required for the human body to survive?

If it depends on time, how about for 6 months, until the original O2 levels are back.

Earth is at, what, 23%? Could we survive on 8% for six months?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/smallbusiness/sec12.html

The normal atmosphere is composed approximately of 20.9% oxygen and 78.1% nitrogen, and 1% argon with small amounts of various other gases.

Oxygen deprivation is one form of asphyxiation. While it is desirable to maintain the atmospheric oxygen level at 21% by volume, the body can tolerate deviation from this ideal. When the oxygen level falls to 17%, the first sign of hypoxia is a deterioration to night vision which is not noticeable until a normal oxygen concentration is restored. Physiologic effects are increased breathing volume and accelerated heartbeat. Between 14-16% physiologic effects are increased breathing volume, accelerated heartbeat, very poor muscular coordination, rapid fatigue, and intermittent respiration. Between 6-10% the effects are nausea, vomiting, inability to perform, and unconsciousness. Less than 6%, spasmatic breathing, convulsive movements, and death in minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! I never would've thought...
And that's an excellent link, too. Thanks.

My next question: How much O2 is too much? I found this in your link;
the use of oxygen in place of fresh (normal) air for ventilation will expand the limits of flammability and increase the hazards of fire and explosion.

Is that the only problem? Is there a threshold on the amount of oxygen before it becomes a safety/flammability issue?

Could we have O2 at 50%? Would there be any benefits to breathing at increased O2 levels (memory, extended work times, concentration)?

There is such a thing as oxygen poisoning; too much oxygen can be quite harmful to the brain. Back when I did biology in college, my teacher mentioned this, and told us how breathing too deep and fast could make one feel rather giddy and unwell (which two members of my class proceeded to do, and then felt a little dizzy and ill. Don't try it.) I'm not sure exactly how this works. Perhaps this would be adressed better in the biology section.

Hyperventilation (lit. too much breathing) blows off the carbon dioxide in the blood stream too fast, increasing the pH in the bloodstream (respiratory alkalosis.) Breathing in and out of a bag increases the amount of carbon dioxide inhaled and helps return the body chemistry to normal.

Above a certain partial pressure, oxygen becomes poisonous. I can't remember what that value is, but I believe it's 1 or 2 atm. Hyperbarric chambers (which increase the total atmospheric pressure and thus the partial pressure of the oxygen) are used on severe burn victims (and if rumor is true, Michael Jackson sleeps in one. :rofl: )

1. How much oxygen do we need to survive?

The amount of oxygen needed for survival varies depending on factors such as age, physical activity, and health. On average, a healthy adult at rest needs about 250-350 milliliters of oxygen per minute.

2. Can we get too much oxygen?

Yes, it is possible to get too much oxygen. Breathing in too much oxygen can lead to oxygen toxicity, which can cause symptoms such as muscle twitching, dizziness, and difficulty breathing.

3. How is oxygen used in the body?

Oxygen is used in the body to produce energy through a process called cellular respiration. This process takes place in the mitochondria of cells and is essential for the functioning of all organs and tissues.

4. What happens if we don't get enough oxygen?

If we do not get enough oxygen, our cells will not be able to produce enough energy to function properly. This can lead to symptoms such as fatigue, shortness of breath, dizziness, and even organ damage in severe cases.

5. How does altitude affect our need for oxygen?

At higher altitudes, the air contains less oxygen, which means our bodies need to work harder to get enough oxygen. This is why people may experience shortness of breath and fatigue at high altitudes. However, the body can adapt to lower oxygen levels over time.