Obama aims for oil independence

In summary: Lots of optimistic talk but little substance.In summary, President Obama is proposing policies to reduce the US' reliance on foreign oil, by increasing the use of energy efficient and sustainable technologies. If these policies are put into place, it is possible that the US could become oil independent in the future. However, this would require a radical change in US policy, and would require the support of the public.
Astronuc said:
I'd like those who use 'proliferation' as a criticism against nuclear energy to give me a plausible or credible scenario of how proliferation would happen. AFAIK, no organization in the US, EU or Asia is going to divert Pu from spent fuel to make nuclear weapons, and certainly they are not going to provide spent fuel or separated Pu to any group that might want to use it to harm some population...
Huh? AQ Khan, Pakistan -> N. Korea, Iran, and Libya. Proliferation doesn't have to start w/ spent fuel.

Physics news on Phys.org
mheslep said:
Huh? AQ Khan, Pakistan -> N. Korea, Iran, and Libya. Proliferation doesn't have to start w/ spent fuel.

With or without nuclear reactors in the West, some governments will provide the technology to other nations, like the US providing the technology and skill to build the first reactors in Iran. Europe supplying engineers and technology to make enrichment plants in Iran. France supplying nukes to Israel. The technology to make weapons grade material is advanced, and it requires sophisticated science and the engineers to train people to use it. Plutonium is so heavily monitored that any attempt to sell it would be highlighted sooner or later. So the only real chance (unless you are already Westernised) is to gain the technology and know how to make it yourself. North Korea didn't wake up one day with a plan, it was sold the technology like other countries.

Last edited:
mgb_phys said:
But to you it's a tool, like a hunting rifle or a chainsaw.
You wouldn't buy the same truck to sit in a commute traffic jam in Houston for hours just so that you could think you are a real man - even though you work in invoicing.
I have a 4x4 pickup, too - a Nissan 2.4 L 4-cylinder. Even though it's not a big V8, it has been quite handy getting other vehicles out of ditches. One of my neighbors plows with an old Bronco, and he pretty much buried it ramming a snow-bank last winter, and got so much snow in back of the plow that he could not back up. I chained onto him, and with his Bronco churning and my truck pulling, we popped him right out of there. The truck also gets used to haul firewood, haul my tiller so I can till relatives' gardens, and make trash and recycling runs. I also use it to get to remote fishing ponds on logging roads. At most, it gets a couple of thousand miles a year of use. I have a very fuel-efficient and clean-running Forester for transportation, and my wife has a Legacy sedan. All 4-cylinder vehicles. I have never felt the urge to buy a full-size pickup, and I wish more people would try out the compact models first.

phyzmatix said:
The man keeps going!

I know nothing about this topic other than what is available in mainstream media. Was wondering if those of you in the know could comment on the possibility and viability of these goals and policies?

Obama aims for oil independence

If at first you don't succeed, blow more hot air at the problem.

mheslep said:
I was thinking more in terms of the west - US, Europe and Asia - and their nuclear programs, and those of China or Russia. Those programs have nothing to do with Pakistan, N. Korea, Iran or anyone else.

The part about taking ore, converting to UF6, enriching it, and conversion from UF6 to metal, involves chemical and metallurgical processes that have nothing to do with nuclear power generation.

Production of Pu-239 is a nuclear process, but anyone with a reactor can do it. The technology is well known.

Astronuc said:
I don't really see a big anti-nuclear feeling among people. There are those who apparently fear it, probably because they don't understand the technology, and they have received misinformation from various sources.
Environuts are a small fringe, but they an extremely vocal group. And the squeakiest wheel gets the most grease. Whatever their reasons for fearing it, they are a big problem.
I'd like those who use 'proliferation' as a criticism against nuclear energy to give me a plausible or credible scenario of how proliferation would happen.
For crackpots, plausibility (not to mention factual accuracy and logic) is not not a relevant concern. Nuclear power and nuclear weapons are equated quite simply because they start with the same word. It's the same reason the "N" was dropped from NMRI. It scares people. http://chemistry.jcu.edu/mlkwan/Organic II Lab/chapter_13au.ppt

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
It's the same reason the "N" was dropped from NMRI. It scares people.
I remember getting some very weird looks once from an American student when we were discussing being careful not to use the 'N word' when talking about a sensor - apparently they have another 'N word' that people get upset about.

russ_watters said:
Environuts are a small fringe, but they an extremely vocal group. And the squeakiest wheel gets the most grease. Whatever their reasons for fearing it, they are a big problem.

'Not in my backyard.

It doesn't take enviromental extremists to throw up enough red tape to derail an oil fueled power plant to oblivion. Nuclear power is drenched in it already.

How good a shot is Mr President Obama, aiming for oil independend? Anyone can aim. But can he get himself and his party out of the way and let Private Enterprise do the shooting.

russ_watters said:

The nuclearnuts who show a clear disregard for other peoples concerns are what scare the environuts.

Ivan Seeking said:
The nuclearnuts who show a clear disregard for other peoples concerns are what scare the environuts.

Who are the nuclearnuts? You'd hope they are scientists at least, or at the very least are in discussion with them...

When people's concerns are based on 30 year old information then there needs to be an attempt to bring people up to speed now on what nuclear entails.

The Dagda said:
Who are the nuclearnuts? You'd hope they are scientists at least, or at the very least are in discussion with them...

No, nuclearnuts are people who have nothing to do with the industry but pretend to be experts and dismiss everyone else's concerns. Or are you suggesting that everyone pro-nuclear knows what they're talking about?

Ivan Seeking said:
No, nuclearnuts are people who have nothing to do with the industry but pretend to be experts and dismiss everyone else's concerns. Or are you suggesting that everyone pro-nuclear knows what they're talking about?

Nope just looking for a definition. I for example know the benefits and problems with nuclear.

I believe that's 'nucleo-nut', pronounced 'new.que'.low.nut'.

Ivan Seeking said:
One doesn't have to be an expert on either side to have valid concerns and express them. However, if people can't be bothered to take the time to at least become well informed on the matter at hand then those people's concerns do warrant dismissal. Indeed that is the policy of this forum.

Phrak said:
'Not in my backyard.

It doesn't take enviromental extremists to throw up enough red tape to derail an oil fueled power plant to oblivion. Nuclear power is drenched in it already.
Well, Nimby is a separate problem, but yeah, that is a big one too. Nimby even gets in the way of wind farms!

That problem can be solved the way landfills solve it, though: with bribery.

Ivan Seeking said:
Indeed, telling someone who is paranoid that they are crazy just makes them more paranoid. There isn't any way around that, though, unfortunately. That's why they are so difficult to get rid of: once someone's gone off the deep end, there really isn't any way to help them.

However, I don't know how it could be reasonable to call someone on the right side of an issue a nut, even if they are not informed enough about it to be. It's like calling someone who is pro Relativity a Relativitynut. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. However, the other side of the coin is one of the key hallmarks of a crackpot: refusal to trust the experts to know what they are talking about.
Much to my dismay, I've learned that people who should know better often don't. You'd think an engineer might have some general scientific knowledge, yet my last boss was a creationist who didn't like Relativity. And 9/11 conspiracy theory sites are chock-full of engineers who think it was an inside job. So while obviously, you don't have to be in an industry to know a little about the subject, there is always the risk that someone who is in one technical field and should know better does not.

Last edited:
mheslep said:
One doesn't have to be an expert on either side to have valid concerns and express them. However, if people can't be bothered to take the time to at least become well informed on the matter at hand then those people's concerns do warrant dismissal. Indeed that is the policy of this forum.
Though we do not engage crackpots (much) on this forum, the scientific community is slowly realizing that that can be a bad approach to the problem in some cases. Crackpottery has a way of festering if left unchecked. As I said before: the squeakier wheel gets the grease. That's part of the reason the creationists won't go away either.

russ_watters said:
... And 9/11 conspiracy theory sites are chock-full of engineers who think it was an inside job. ...
And physicists.
http://www.physics.uiowa.edu/~cgrabbe/speaking/speaker.html

Last edited by a moderator:
The tide is turning for nuclear power and we've been getting little hints of that for the past several years. Here is another big break for nuclear:
The Swedish government agreed Thursday to scrap a three-decade ban on building new nuclear reactors, saying it needs to avoid producing more greenhouse gases.

Sweden is a leader on renewable energy but is struggling to develop alternative source like hydropower and wind to meet its growing energy demands. If parliament approves scrapping the ban, Sweden would join a growing list of countries rethinking nuclear power as a source of energy amid concerns over global warming and the reliability of energy suppliers such as Russia. Britain, France and Poland are planning new reactors and Finland is currently building Europe's first new atomic plant in over a decade.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090205/ap_on_re_eu/eu_sweden_nuclear_power

Time to get rolling already. But what's the solution to NIMBY?

Gokul43201 said:
Time to get rolling already. But what's the solution to NIMBY?
Bribery - would you like to pay no sales tax, would you like a 1000 new jobs.
Threats - alternatively we could build a 4Gw coal fired station, of course it would mean a few 1000 trucks a day carrying coal through your small village.
USEBY - (use somebody elses backyard) let the French build the power stations and buy the power from them.

Bribery is how landfill companies do it and they don't have anywhere near the money of a nuclear plant construction project, so I don't see that adding a significant cost to nuclear plant construction.

russ_watters said:
Bribery is how landfill companies do it and they don't have anywhere near the money of a nuclear plant construction project, so I don't see that adding a significant cost to nuclear plant construction.

:biggrin:

There was a 60 Minutes piece about this a few years ago, but googling "landfill benefit residents" gives you a lot of good hits:
KEKAHA — Concerned citizens packed the Kekaha Neighborhood Center Monday night to begin a long-term discussion on how the residents should spend the hundreds of thousands of dollars they will receive from the county as compensation for the existing landfill outside of town.

Kekaha will receive a $650,000 upfront “host community benefit” for housing the soon-to-be-expanded landfill, and will continue to receive annual funding, potentially as high as six figures each year, based on how much tonnage of rubbish is brought to the Westside facility, officials said.

In trying to help the community decide how to allocate those funds, the county proposed the idea of a 13-person Citizens Advisory Committee.
http://savekauai.org/waste-%2526-recycling/kekaha-residents-bandy-landfill-benefits

A practical note: Today I received my first request ever [for engineering services] from a wind power company.

I've been wanting to go up one of those :biggrin: