Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama appointees

1. Nov 7, 2008 #1

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Discuss your reactions to the appointments that Obama has and will be making over the coming days.

I, for one, am delighted that Gates will/may be staying in place (at least for a little while) as Sec Def. That is absolutely the right thing to do, and I'd been expecting to be disappointed with Obama choosing to replace Gates immediately. I'm happy that didn't happen; Gates is really good!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 7, 2008 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I agree, Gates is a good man.

Unfortunately, at any time he can cite the number of days that he has left. Maybe with new blood in the White House, he will be willing to stay for a time.

4. Nov 7, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Names surface for top Obama administration jobs
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081107/ap_on_el_pr/obama_potential_appointees

I think offering Gates the opportunity to stay is good, given the current situation.

Other names:
    Former Navy Secretary Richard Danzig.
    Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., critic of Iraq war, retiring from Senate.
    Sen. Jack Reed, D-R.I., member of Senate Armed Services Committee.

Then for Secretary of State:
    Gov. Bill Richardson, D-N.M., former U.N. ambassador and energy secretary.
    Sen. John Kerry, D-Mass., 2004 presidential nominee.
    Sen. Richard Lugar, R-Ind., former chairman of Senate Foreign Relations Committee.
    Sen. Chuck Hagel, R-Neb., critic of Iraq war, retiring from Senate.

ENERGY SECRETARY
    Former Rep. Philip Sharp, D-Ind., president of Resources for the Future think tank.
    Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius.

ATTORNEY GENERAL
    Eric Holder, former deputy attorney general.
    Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano.
    Rep. Artur Davis, D-Ala., member of House Judiciary Committee.
    Massachusetts Gov. Deval Patrick, former assistant U.S. attorney for civil rights.

5. Nov 7, 2008 #4
    Chief of Staff Emanuel

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1108/15388.html

Haha, the more I read about this guy the more I like him, in a funny way. He is viewed as a hitman, arm-twister, in-your-face no non-sense enforcer. He is the bad cop, feared by Republicans and Democrats alike. He fears no one. But if Obama can keep this guy on a short leash, he will be very effective in pushing Obama's agendas through congress.

After years of lame-duck, I am ready and willing to see people trying to get things done. Bring it on.

6. Nov 8, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow! John McLaughlin gushed over Obama's Emanuel pick, and McLaughlin isn't a liberal or an Obama supporter. He argues that Obama picked Emanuel to reign in the Dems in Congress, not to alienate the Republicans. McLaughlin made it clear that he is quite impressed with the sound thinking behind this decision.

7. Nov 8, 2008 #6

Astronuc

Apparently Lugar has declined the position of Secretary of State.

Great Expectations - The Economist, Nov 6, 2008

8. Nov 12, 2008 #7

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Paul Volcker's name has been tossed around as possible Treasury Secretary.

He had a lot to do with my joining the Air Force back in 1982. He raised the interest rates so high I lost my construction job in masonry.

I remember telling the Three Little Pigs story to my daughter and nephews and nieces, except I'd add in the fourth segment of the story - the part where the big bad wolf goes to Washington DC and the third little pig gets evicted from his brick house.

Actually, living in a town where unions negotiated how big a pay cut to take to keep the tire factories in town a few years longer was pretty much a dead end in any event. I was going to need to leave pretty soon no matter what.

9. Nov 12, 2008 #8

Astronuc

Sen Kerry has indicated he wants to be Chairman on the Senate Foreign Relations committee, so he is apparently not interested in the Secy of State.

10. Nov 13, 2008 #9

Astronuc

11. Nov 13, 2008 #10

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They were discussing Raum Emanuel's unusual style on Morning Joe the other morning. It turns out Morning Joe doesn't use a six-second delay on their broadcasts. :rofl:

Not only is Emanuel impossible for the networks to interview on live TV, they find it hard to even discuss him. And by the way, everyone, period, in the room is afraid of him because he's stabbing the table and screaming "Dead!" after the name of every person that ever pissed him off.

Raum Emanuel is known for getting things done

12. Nov 13, 2008 #11

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Like Karl Rove on steroids...

13. Nov 14, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Obama gets the Clinton band back together
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20081114/pl_politico/15617
    Hmmmmm. I'm not impressed. Doesn't seem like the change those of us on the outside expected.

Officials: Sen. Clinton eyed as secretary of state
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081114/ap_on_el_pr/clinton_state_department

Double Hmmmmm. :grumpy: I have strong reservations.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  14. Nov 14, 2008 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

The troops may not be so different, but the General is.

My sense is that Obama is a pragmatist and is looking to get things done.

While I agree it remains to be seen what he will do, I can't fault him at this point for getting experienced troops aligned for the engagement.

15. Nov 14, 2008 #14

Art

It would be good for bipartisanship if Obama could find a senior role for McCain in his cabinet. Just not sure which one. He'd probably like defence but he's a little too much of a maverick for that post :smile:

16. Nov 14, 2008 #15

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Clinton was also a pragmatist. He had quite a few small accomplishments. If not for a few obnoxious personal habits, he'd probably be considered a little above average among Presidents (and probably will be by history, since decades from now, horny high school History students will probably find him a lot more interesting than Millard Fillmore - you know, he probably takes pleasure in that thought, too).

Still, Obama and his situation is different from Clinton's.

Clinton was a conservative Democrat that had to deal with a Republican Congress. Obama is a progressive liberal that will have to deal with a Democratic Congress.

17. Nov 14, 2008 #16

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Put him in charge of Energy.

Then he can go up to Alaska and shut up those Drill, Baby, Drill fanatics.

Stick a nuclear plant up there and take it out of their endowment fund they have been robbing from the oil companies.

18. Nov 14, 2008 #17

Astronuc

Here's a list of names of foreign policy advisors to Clinton and Obama - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/opinions/documents/the-war-over-the-wonks.html

Yes - they have experience - but I given the lack of success during the last 20-30 years, that's not saying much in their favor. I don't want to see Holbrooke in any significant position.

Bill Clinton's foreign policy was poor and his domestic policy not much better. Perhaps Hillary could do better.

19. Nov 15, 2008 #18

Astronuc

This is promising -

Advice and dissent: Obama reaches out to ex-rivals
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081115/ap_on_el_pr/obama_team_of_rivals
    :approve:

Yet I'm waiting to see.

20. Nov 16, 2008 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/16/60minutes/main4607893_page4.shtml

21. Nov 16, 2008 #20
    I really liked richard holbrooke when he was on charlie rose. What dont you like about him?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?