Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Obama Backs Nuclear Plants

1. Feb 16, 2010 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://www.aolnews.com/article/obama-backs-nuclear-plants-with-billions-in-loans/19360343

While in principle I don't support the use of nuclear power, the pro-nuclear people here and the lack of available options have worn me down. I think we need to pursue other options with great diligence, but nuclear power seems to be an unavoidable evil.

Also, I trust Obama's good judgement.

Just another hole in the boat for those who recklessly apply "liberal" labels to Obama.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2010 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Being considered are twenty-three new plants over the next twenty years.

4. Feb 16, 2010 #3
    Hey! I am doing a research paper on the safety of nuclear power plants right now! Awesome.

Nuclear Energy is clean, safe, and extremely efficient! Breeder reactors produce more fuel than they consume! (of course we aren't using them at the moment, besides BN-600 which is due to shut down this year)

Way to go Obama!

5. Feb 16, 2010 #4
    This is great news. Pretty much the first thing about this administration that I really support!

6. Feb 16, 2010 #5
    I also loved this idea!

I propose to dispose nuclear wastes to the sun or somewhere else.

7. Feb 16, 2010 #6

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Right. Without 'permanent' waste disposal like Yucca Mountain, that TOTUS closed, it's empty posturing. Welcome to the third world banana 'republic' of Obamanation!

8. Feb 16, 2010 #7
    What's wrong with nukular power?

9. Feb 16, 2010 #8
    good to finally be seeing some money being spent on durable goods. it irks me to no end that "stimulus" would not be including more infrastructure projects. we've got bridges and sewers that need attention, too.

10. Feb 16, 2010 #9

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

That you would remember that pronunciation, if nothing else. That person was in no way an authoritative spokesman and definitely not even a nukular engineer. See the Wikipedia.

11. Feb 16, 2010 #10
    What an utterly useless and pointless post to a question not directed at you. All right, a bit too harsh. I apologize. But really, what kind of answer is that? (raises eyebrow)

12. Feb 16, 2010 #11

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

See Timothy Ferris' The Science of Liberty (HarperCollins, NY,2010)

13. Feb 16, 2010 #12

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

A response/retort from an insider? Carter claimed to be a nuclear engineer. I worked and qualified as a Shift Test Engineer (nuclear). http://www.navsea.navy.mil/shipyards/norfolk/nnsy/NuclearTED.aspx

Here's the (liberal presumably pro-Carter) Wikipedia on Carter's naval career

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmy_Carter#Naval_career

Carter is regarded in some circles as the worst contemporary president, a status now being challenged by another democrat and in the field of nuclear power politics. If you want to accuse me of hating Carter and democrats then I will not protest.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  14. Feb 16, 2010 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The video tapes of not one, but two security guards at nuclear power plants, sleeping while on-duty, not long after 911, did not convince me that we have anything even close to a failsafe system. That showed me that for all of the posturing, there is no way to control the human element.

My biggest concern is the proliferation of nuclear materials; for dirty bombs, for example. But beyond that, I don't trust the nuclear industry. We were told this was all safe even while three mile island was on the verge of melting down; while the two most knowlegable people in the country were screaming at each other and didn't know what to do.

But, at this point energy independence is probably more important that safety concerns. Better to potentially lose one city than all of them. Also, the sooner we can gain energy independence, the sooner we can get out of the ME. Ultimately, our need for oil is the reason that we have terrorists.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  15. Feb 16, 2010 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He was talking about Bush.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  16. Feb 16, 2010 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Start a thread. Otherwise, meaningless allusions to some book have nothing to do with the discussion.

17. Feb 16, 2010 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Agreed.

18. Feb 16, 2010 #17

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Re 'dirty bomb', if it was so easy then everyone would do it.

Calculate the mass specific activity for your favorite nuclides. I think that you'll find that ones with sufficient activity to be particularly difficult to clean up can't be assembled in a large mass without acute exposure problems. Conversely, if it can be assembled in a reasonably large mass then the activity is low enough to be only expensive to clean up.

No, I have not done the calculations since I retired from a term in radiological emergency planning.

Read/lurk the RADSAFE list for radiation health physics professionals.

19. Feb 16, 2010 #18

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Sorry, mentors, I am not seeking anyone's approval.

20. Feb 16, 2010 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

And on one cares. If you want to post, make a point.

21. Feb 16, 2010 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, we've been through this all before.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook