Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Obama bows to King

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    Simple question that I don't find a definitive answer to.

Is/was the bow correct protocol.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1518581,w-obama-saudi-king-bow040809.article [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Re: Oboma bows to King

I wouldn't have thought it was "correct protocol" (whatever that really means). That said, he's the president, so is allowed to greet royalty however he likes.

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3

Surely it is common practise for visitors to be advised on matters of protocol before any meeting.

5. Apr 11, 2009 #4

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Actually, the custom is to kiss the king on his shoulder. Bush kissed the king and would hold hands with him. Holding hands with men as you talk to them is a sign of friendship and trust there. I guess Obama figured a bow would raise less criticism that kissing and holding hands, but never underestimate the hate mongers.

6. Apr 11, 2009 #5

http://www.cyborlink.com/besite/saudi-arabia.htm

But, it doesn't say anything about bow to others.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  7. Apr 11, 2009 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He didn't bow for crying out loud! He was greeting his shoes.

8. Apr 11, 2009 #7

perhaps he extended his hand too soon and couldn't catch up to the king, hence the sudden blip in posture.

9. Apr 11, 2009 #8

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The shoulder kissing custom was eliminated by the current Saudi King. The current custom is a simple hand shake.

The whole incident was misinterpreted in any event. The President, like any self-respecting Chicago resident, is a huge Bears fan. Acquiring Jay Cutler brings back memories of the last time the Bears had even a respectable quarterback, let alone a star quarterback. Those that remember Jim McMahon probably also remember McMahon's TD celebrations where he headbutted his team mates. Definitely cooler than a wimpy fist-bump!

Under the circumstances, it's certainly understandable that Obama would become a little over exuberant in his greetings. It's just sad that the Saudi Arabian king didn't return the gesture. He's clearly ignorant of American football history.

10. Apr 11, 2009 #9

Evo

:rofl:

11. Apr 11, 2009 #10

Astronuc

Maybe Obama meant to low-5 him. I don't think Abdullah could do a high-5 with Obama given Obama's stature and the king's mass. :biggin:

I thought Obama was more of a basketball fan than football.

To be safe next time, should we send Abdullah a book on the history of Chicago sports greetings?

12. Apr 11, 2009 #11

Thanks Evo
    I thought that the kiss was the accepted greeting but I don't get to party with royals very often so I wasn't sure.

The other side story about breaking protocol is the touching of the Queen On England.

Michelle Obama's meeting with Queen Elizabeth II began with a handshake and ended in a hug.
    http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/national/nat_ap_london_michelle_obama_charms_queen_2009040210552292723 [Broken]

President Obama campaigned on a platform of change. So far I'd say he's sticking to his promises.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  13. Apr 11, 2009 #12

God you should here some of the rednecks/super conservative idiots in my area.

It's a greeting, I would think it's perfectly normal. What would they expect him to do if he were to go to Japan?

14. Apr 11, 2009 #13

That's just it. No President in the history of our nation has ever bowed to a foriegn leader. Protocol is, out of respect for the office of US President, you don't bow to anyone. It's seen as disrespect towards our American concept of equality among people and the struggle our nation has gone through to be what we have been for a few hundred years. People had to bow to kings, queens, anyone in power. We got away from that and now were back. I don't care if he starts bowing to his new dog, whatever that ended up being. He doesn't seem to care about the traditions of the office of the American Presidency in this respect.

15. Apr 11, 2009 #14

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, yes, before this whole Obama-bowing fiasco, us Americans have never had to submit to anyone, right? Tax collectors, land lords, teachers, bosses, they've never had any power over us free, independent Americans, right? :rolleyes:

- Warren

16. Apr 11, 2009 #15

Evo

Post the link to the research that proves this.

Post the link that proves this.

This is your opinion, not fact.

17. Apr 11, 2009 #16

Thank you Evo.

18. Apr 11, 2009 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My guess is that it was unintentional misstep on Obama's part. Either his advisors failed to review the customary protocols, or Obama just screwed up because he was tired from the long trip. At most it was a gesture that has been taken out of context. Anyone reading more into this should probably go live somewhere where things like this matter.

At least he didn't puke at the dinner table and pass out.

A bow doesn't change the US Constitution or US foreign policy.

19. Apr 11, 2009 #18

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assumed it was because Obama is one of the lizard people from V - he saw a pet hamster behind the king.

20. Apr 11, 2009 #19

It would be easier to post a link that shows that a President actually bowed to a foreign leader. But there is no link. Because it has never happened. I'm not a history buff so I do not have any research to support this fact. I would think that by now, someone would be able to post something, somewhere, that google would pick up that would show that President(s) in the past has/have done this.

Yes, it's my opinion. It's also my opinion that past Presidents observed my opinion as well. Until now.

21. Apr 11, 2009 #20

I think you are right. It wasn't intentionally done as President of the US. I think he forgot who he is for a moment and bowed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook