Was Obama's Bow to King of Saudi Arabia Appropriate?

• News
  • Thread starter Alfi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation was focused on whether or not it was appropriate for President Obama to bow to the Saudi Arabian king during a greeting. Some argued that it was a sign of respect and others believed it was breaking protocol. The discussion also touched on the idea of change and how previous presidents have greeted foreign leaders. It was mentioned that Michelle Obama had hugged Queen Elizabeth II during a meeting, which was seen as a more unconventional greeting. The conversation also delved into the history of bowing and its significance in American culture. Some believed that bowing was a form of submission and went against the American concept of equality. Others argued that it was a sign of respect and did not have negative connotations.
Alfi
Simple question that I don't find a definitive answer to.

Is/was the bow correct protocol.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/politics/obama/1518581,w-obama-saudi-king-bow040809.article [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

I wouldn't have thought it was "correct protocol" (whatever that really means). That said, he's the president, so is allowed to greet royalty however he likes.

Surely it is common practise for visitors to be advised on matters of protocol before any meeting.

Actually, the custom is to kiss the king on his shoulder. Bush kissed the king and would hold hands with him. Holding hands with men as you talk to them is a sign of friendship and trust there. I guess Obama figured a bow would raise less criticism that kissing and holding hands, but never underestimate the hate mongers.

International business behavior, introductions, gift giving, protocol, culture There are several styles of greetings used; it is best to wait for your counterpart to initiate the greeting. Men shake hands with other men. Some men will shake hands with a woman; it is advisable for a businesswoman to wait for a man to offer his hand. A more traditional greeting between men involves grasping each other’s right hand, placing the left hand on the other’s right shoulder and exchanging kisses on each cheek.

International business behavior, introductions, gift giving, protocol, culture Men walking hand in hand is a sign a friendship.

http://www.cyborlink.com/besite/saudi-arabia.htm

But, it doesn't say anything about bow to others.

He didn't bow for crying out loud! He was greeting his shoes.

perhaps he extended his hand too soon and couldn't catch up to the king, hence the sudden blip in posture.

The shoulder kissing custom was eliminated by the current Saudi King. The current custom is a simple hand shake.

The whole incident was misinterpreted in any event. The President, like any self-respecting Chicago resident, is a huge Bears fan. Acquiring Jay Cutler brings back memories of the last time the Bears had even a respectable quarterback, let alone a star quarterback. Those that remember Jim McMahon probably also remember McMahon's TD celebrations where he headbutted his team mates. Definitely cooler than a wimpy fist-bump!

Under the circumstances, it's certainly understandable that Obama would become a little over exuberant in his greetings. It's just sad that the Saudi Arabian king didn't return the gesture. He's clearly ignorant of American football history.

BobG said:
The shoulder kissing custom was eliminated by the current Saudi King. The current custom is a simple hand shake.

The whole incident was misinterpreted in any event. The President, like any self-respecting Chicago resident, is a huge Bears fan. Acquiring Jay Cutler brings back memories of the last time the Bears had even a respectable quarterback, let alone a star quarterback. Those that remember Jim McMahon probably also remember McMahon's TD celebrations where he headbutted his team mates. Definitely cooler than a wimpy fist-bump!

Under the circumstances, it's certainly understandable that Obama would become a little over exuberant in his greetings. It's just sad that the Saudi Arabian king didn't return the gesture. He's clearly ignorant of American football history.
:rofl:

Maybe Obama meant to low-5 him. I don't think Abdullah could do a high-5 with Obama given Obama's stature and the king's mass. :biggin:

I thought Obama was more of a basketball fan than football.

BobG said:
To be safe next time, should we send Abdullah a book on the history of Chicago sports greetings?

Thanks Evo
I thought that the kiss was the accepted greeting but I don't get to party with royals very often so I wasn't sure. The other side story about breaking protocol is the touching of the Queen On England.

Michelle Obama's meeting with Queen Elizabeth II began with a handshake and ended in a hug.
http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/national/nat_ap_london_michelle_obama_charms_queen_2009040210552292723 [Broken]President Obama campaigned on a platform of change. So far I'd say he's sticking to his promises.

God you should here some of the rednecks/super conservative idiots in my area.

It's a greeting, I would think it's perfectly normal. What would they expect him to do if he were to go to Japan?

binzing said:
God you should here some of the rednecks/super conservative idiots in my area.

It's a greeting, I would think it's perfectly normal. What would they expect him to do if he were to go to Japan?

That's just it. No President in the history of our nation has ever bowed to a foriegn leader. Protocol is, out of respect for the office of US President, you don't bow to anyone. It's seen as disrespect towards our American concept of equality among people and the struggle our nation has gone through to be what we have been for a few hundred years. People had to bow to kings, queens, anyone in power. We got away from that and now were back. I don't care if he starts bowing to his new dog, whatever that ended up being. He doesn't seem to care about the traditions of the office of the American Presidency in this respect.

drankin said:
People had to bow to kings, queens, anyone in power. We got away from that and now were back.

Yes, yes, before this whole Obama-bowing fiasco, us Americans have never had to submit to anyone, right? Tax collectors, land lords, teachers, bosses, they've never had any power over us free, independent Americans, right? :rolleyes:

- Warren

drankin said:
That's just it. No President in the history of our nation has ever bowed to a foriegn leader.
Post the link to the research that proves this.

Protocol is, out of respect for the office of US President, you don't bow to anyone.
Post the link that proves this.

It's seen as disrespect towards our American concept of equality among people and the struggle our nation has gone through to be what we have been for a few hundred years. People had to bow to kings, queens, anyone in power. We got away from that and now were back. I don't care if he starts bowing to his new dog, whatever that ended up being. He doesn't seem to care about the traditions of the office of the American Presidency in this respect.
This is your opinion, not fact.

Evo said:

Thank you Evo.

My guess is that it was unintentional misstep on Obama's part. Either his advisors failed to review the customary protocols, or Obama just screwed up because he was tired from the long trip. At most it was a gesture that has been taken out of context. Anyone reading more into this should probably go live somewhere where things like this matter.

At least he didn't puke at the dinner table and pass out.

A bow doesn't change the US Constitution or US foreign policy.

I assumed it was because Obama is one of the lizard people from V - he saw a pet hamster behind the king.

Evo said:

It would be easier to post a link that shows that a President actually bowed to a foreign leader. But there is no link. Because it has never happened. I'm not a history buff so I do not have any research to support this fact. I would think that by now, someone would be able to post something, somewhere, that google would pick up that would show that President(s) in the past has/have done this.

Yes, it's my opinion. It's also my opinion that past Presidents observed my opinion as well. Until now.

Ivan Seeking said:
My guess is that it was unintentional misstep on Obama's part. Either his advisors failed to review the customary protocols, or Obama just screwed up because he was tired from the long trip. At most it was a gesture that has been taken out of context. Anyone reading more into this should probably go live somewhere where things like this matter.

At least he didn't puke at the dinner table and pass out.

A bow doesn't change the US Constitution or US foreign policy.

I think you are right. It wasn't intentionally done as President of the US. I think he forgot who he is for a moment and bowed.

drankin said:
I think you are right. It wasn't intentionally done as President of the US. I think he forgot who he is for a moment and bowed.

Uh no, I really doubt he "forgot who he is". If its a mistake at all its minor, meaningless. I completely understand being patriotic but being arrogantly stupid in your patriotism makes no sense, ie "Our President bowed to someone, now no one will see the US as strong again."

binzing said:
"Our President bowed to someone, now no one will see the US as strong again."

Bingo, binzing (hey, that's fun to say). What's funny is that the US is clearly not as strong as it once was, and is possibly well on its way to losing "superpower" status. Why do so many people want the American president to pretend otherwise?

Should our leaders remain cocky, arrogant, and beyond reproach forever?

- Warren

chroot said:
Bingo, binzing (hey, that's fun to say). What's funny is that the US is clearly not as strong as it once was, and is possibly well on its way to losing "superpower" status. Why do so many people want the American president to pretend otherwise?

Should our leaders remain cocky, arrogant, and beyond reproach forever?

- Warren

No, IMO, they should not. It's only going to lead to more hatred of the US if we don't let ourselves (and this is where our leader comes in, being a representative of the American people) appear human.

drankin said:
... you don't bow to anyone. It's seen as disrespect towards our American concept of equality among people
He doesn't seem to care about the traditions of the office of the American Presidency in this respect.
Different strokes. I see a bow as a sign of respect, not disrespect.
How about the traditions of saying thank you and please? Your disrespect is my manners.

I think traditions should be shaken and reexamined every now and then just to see what ones are out of date.
Mark 7:8-9 (NIV)-Jesus speaking: "You have let go of the commands of God and are holding on to the traditions of men." And he said to them: "You have a fine way of setting aside the commands of God in order to observe your own traditions."

President Obama campaigned on a platform of change. So far I'd say so far he's sticking to his promises.

MARK SHIELDS: We spend more on defense than the next 48 countries in the world combined, combined. We are not starving the Pentagon.
http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/politics/jan-june09/politicalwrap_04-10.html [Broken]

drankin said:
Protocol is, out of respect for the office of US President, you don't bow to anyone. It's seen as disrespect towards our American concept of equality among people and the struggle our nation has gone through to be what we have been for a few hundred years.

You can't impose your cultural values onto everyone else, or have similar expectations from them. Bending a little when dealing with people from other cultures wouldn't hurt anyone.

drankin said:
It would be easier to post a link that shows that a President actually bowed to a foreign leader. But there is no link. Because it has never happened. I'm not a history buff so I do not have any research to support this fact. I would think that by now, someone would be able to post something, somewhere, that google would pick up that would show that President(s) in the past has/have done this.

Yes, it's my opinion. It's also my opinion that past Presidents observed my opinion as well. Until now.
What about a President bowing to a religious figure?

Attachments

• bush bowing to pope.jpg
    bush bowing to pope.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 358
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Obama planned the bow on purpose, precisely because of the effect it would have on the American people -- a little sliver of collective humility might do us well.

- Warren

It appears to be ultra conservative right wing groups that are upset, IMO.

A good article on it.

http://mideast.blogs.time.com/2009/04/10/why-obamas-saudi-bow-was-not-a-kow-tow/ [Broken]

I was just about to ask about that. Is there a different protocol for religious leaders? And the distance you bow depends on your position in the government?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuFPku5uSQw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2AjLwunKTo

And, of course, the ever famous bow to Iraqi Prime Minister Malicki :rofl:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8GOrc0-Ygg

Also, the Pope is the ruler of Vatican City. So right there is a picture of Bush not only bowing to a religious leader but the ruler of a country.

And they thought Kennedy would turn us all into Catholics.

Evo said:
Also, the Pope is the ruler of Vatican City. So right there is a picture of Bush not only bowing to a religious leader but the ruler of a country.

Ok, then. Bush, an American President bowed to the Pope. It's ok then. We have a precedent. The representative of America should now bow to foreign religious leaders. Obama is just following Bush's example.

drankin said:
Ok, then. Bush, an American President bowed to the Pope. It's ok then. We have a precedent. The representative of America should now bow to foreign religious leaders. Obama is just following Bush's example.

I think your missing the point of what you posted earlier. Americans are 'equal' (yeah right, not really but anywho). Americans and people from other countries are not equal. I don't see you up in arms about the fact that we can't touch the little old queen of england. Seriously, your point is rediculous.

In the link posted by Alfi it says,

“It wasn’t a bow. He grasped his hand with two hands, and he’s taller than King Abdullah,” the aide was quoted as saying by Politco.com Wednesday.

I disagree with this statement. It's difficult to see because there are people in front, but Obama's head and eyes do not appear to be in direct alignment with the King's. Therefore, he is bowing. Many will conclude from this that Obama is showing subservience to the king and a whole bunch of other crazy ideas that do not follow.

In my opinion, I think Obama made a mistake by not knowing the customs of the foreign leaders he was meeting with. He wanted to make a good impression and so he bowed.

<h2>1. What was the context of Obama's bow to the King of Saudi Arabia?</h2><p>The bow occurred during a G20 summit in London in 2009. Obama was greeting the King as a sign of respect in the traditional Saudi Arabian custom.</p><h2>2. Was Obama the first US President to bow to a foreign leader?</h2><p>No, Obama was not the first US President to bow to a foreign leader. Previous presidents, including George W. Bush and Richard Nixon, have also bowed to foreign leaders as a sign of respect.</p><h2>3. Did Obama's bow violate any diplomatic protocol?</h2><p>There is no official protocol for how a US President should greet a foreign leader. Some critics argued that Obama's bow was too deep and showed a lack of American strength, but others saw it as a diplomatic gesture of respect.</p><h2>4. How did the public and media react to Obama's bow?</h2><p>The reaction to Obama's bow was mixed. Some praised his gesture as a sign of cultural sensitivity, while others criticized it as a sign of weakness. The media coverage also varied, with some outlets focusing on the significance of the bow and others downplaying its importance.</p><h2>5. Did the bow have any significant impact on US-Saudi relations?</h2><p>The bow did not have a significant impact on US-Saudi relations. The two countries have a long-standing alliance and continue to work together on various issues, regardless of the gesture at the G20 summit.</p>

1. What was the context of Obama's bow to the King of Saudi Arabia?

The bow occurred during a G20 summit in London in 2009. Obama was greeting the King as a sign of respect in the traditional Saudi Arabian custom.

2. Was Obama the first US President to bow to a foreign leader?

No, Obama was not the first US President to bow to a foreign leader. Previous presidents, including George W. Bush and Richard Nixon, have also bowed to foreign leaders as a sign of respect.

3. Did Obama's bow violate any diplomatic protocol?

There is no official protocol for how a US President should greet a foreign leader. Some critics argued that Obama's bow was too deep and showed a lack of American strength, but others saw it as a diplomatic gesture of respect.

4. How did the public and media react to Obama's bow?

The reaction to Obama's bow was mixed. Some praised his gesture as a sign of cultural sensitivity, while others criticized it as a sign of weakness. The media coverage also varied, with some outlets focusing on the significance of the bow and others downplaying its importance.

5. Did the bow have any significant impact on US-Saudi relations?

The bow did not have a significant impact on US-Saudi relations. The two countries have a long-standing alliance and continue to work together on various issues, regardless of the gesture at the G20 summit.