Hope for Change: Reversing the Bush Legacy

• News
  • Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Change
In summary, John Podesta said that the incoming administration is looking to reverse many policies of the Bush administration. I hope that the Republicans don't fight him tooth and nail on everything.
Evo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
This article really gives me hope that we are going to see a lot of the negative changes that Bush made reversed.

President-elect Obama's transition chief said Sunday the incoming administration is looking to reverse President Bush's executive orders on stem cell research, oil and gas drilling and other matters.

John Podesta said the president can use such orders to move quickly without waiting for Congress to act, highlighting the extraordinary powers a president can wield beyond signing legislation approved by Congress. Podesta said people should expect Obama to use those powers to reverse many policies of the Bush administration.

"I think across the board, on stem cell research, on a number of areas, you see the Bush administration even today moving aggressively to do things that I think are probably not in the interest of the country," Podesta said in a broadcast interview.

"There's a lot that the president can do using his executive authority without waiting for congressional action, and I think we'll see the president do that," Podesta said.

I hope that the Republicans aren't going to fight him tooth and nail on everything. I'm referring to
But Rep. Eric Cantor also said to expect Republicans to serve as a check against the power held by Obama and House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, a Democrat from California.

"There is going to be, I think, a willingness to try and get things done," Cantor said. "But at the end of the day I think you will see a Republican Party in Congress serving as a check and a balance against Mr. Obama's power and Speaker Pelosi's power."
I don't necessarily see that as a good thing when you consider the changes that Obama wants to bring about. Serving as a "check and balance" is one thing, serving as a means of continuing what we have seen happen the last eight years, no.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081109/ap_on_el_pr/obama [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Evo said:
I hope that the Republicans aren't going to fight him tooth and nail on everything. I'm referring toI don't necessarily see that as a good thing when you consider the changes that Obama wants to bring about. Serving as a "check and balance" is one thing, serving as a means of continuing what we have seen happen the last eight years, no.

I agree completely. Let's hope that it will be a case of "check and balance" that includes conscious thought and reason and not just a teenage-type stubbornness in refusing every proposal out of principle and without merit.

I think the danger that the Republicans face in being a "check" is in not being obstructionists.

To the extent that they stand in the way of successful programs their balance may only be a check to themselves.

The Californians have been in this "check and balance" mumbo-jumbo since the beginning of summer, when the budget was already overdue... We still don't have a budget to this day...

What is "Hope for Change: Reversing the Bush Legacy"?

"Hope for Change: Reversing the Bush Legacy" is a book written by political scientists and experts that examines the policies and actions of the George W. Bush administration and discusses potential solutions for reversing the negative impacts and promoting positive change.

What are some examples of the negative impacts of the Bush administration?

Some examples of negative impacts of the Bush administration include the 2003 invasion of Iraq, the handling of Hurricane Katrina, the 2008 financial crisis, and the failure to address climate change.

How does this book propose to reverse the Bush legacy?

This book offers a comprehensive analysis of the policies and actions of the Bush administration and provides alternative solutions for addressing the issues and challenges that arose during that time. It also highlights the importance of citizen participation and activism in promoting change.

Who should read "Hope for Change: Reversing the Bush Legacy"?

This book is recommended for anyone interested in understanding the impact of the Bush administration and seeking solutions for promoting positive change. It is also beneficial for students and researchers in the fields of political science, history, and public policy.

Is "Hope for Change: Reversing the Bush Legacy" a biased book?

While the authors of this book have their own individual perspectives and opinions, their analysis and recommendations are based on factual information and research. The goal of this book is to encourage critical thinking and discourse, rather than promote a specific political agenda.