Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

News Obama diplomacy

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8006135.stm

Not only this one, but Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also shows respect to Obama. Obama was showing some concern about Roxana Saberi and so

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/20/world/middleeast/20iran.html?ref=middleeast

While one republican thinks Obama shouldn't have greeted Chavez (I guess it's about when Chavez came to Obama at a conference to give him a historical book)

(oops, I thought I am posting to Politics & World Affairs)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2009 #2
    "Respect" would be releasing Roxana Saberi...not bragging about 700 centrifuges.

As for Chavez...perhaps Obama believes Chavez is more capable of protecting the environment than reckless US oil companies?

You seem to have forgotten to say something nice about Cuba.

4. Apr 24, 2009 #3
    1) She has other two charges: Working without a license and one more. Now, I don't remember if she is ought to be jailed for now too for those charges
    2) I believe Supreme court is not under the president so he cannot do much about it.
    3) She was charged for spying why she should be released if it turns out that the charges were real.

Did he brag about it in his this speech?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  5. Apr 24, 2009 #4
    So Obama shouldn't have greeted him or receive the book from Chavez?

6. Apr 25, 2009 #5
    http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2009/apr/18/summit-obama-gets-friendly-chavez/ [Broken]

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20090420_Obama_calls_for_changes_as_talks_end.html [Broken]

"Venezuela is a country whose defense budget is probably 1/600th of the United States'. They own Citgo," the retail arm of Venezuela's national oil company, Obama said. "It's unlikely that as a consequence of me shaking hands or having a polite conversation with Mr. Chavez, that we are endangering the strategic interests of the United States."

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Apr 25, 2009 #6

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Not sure, but that book wasn't about respect either.

Obama just looks too much like Neville Chamberlain with his foreign policy to me.

8. Apr 25, 2009 #7

mheslep

Gold Member

I generally like the idea of a less belligerent face on US foreign policy in the form an affable President, but I never expected it to become an apology roadshow. Then there's statements like the one above. Given an age of asymmetric warfare, how can he make statements like this? What was the defense budget ratio to the 911 hijackers and all of their handlers? 1e6:1? Chavez is a documented insurgent backer against his neighbor Columbia. What happened to the election speech mindset shown here:
    What happened to that guy?

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  9. Apr 25, 2009 #8
    What happened to the checks for $1,000 that all of the Senior citizens based their vote on...now $250 (I think)...25% of the promises isn't bad...right?:confused:

10. Apr 25, 2009 #9
    Perhaps he is unlike many others capable of thinking rationally and keeping a cool head. In the good old days diplomacy was:

In the "age of asymmetric warfare" it has been:

"You are either with us or against us" or
    "I care what 51 percent of the people think about me."

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2009
  11. Apr 25, 2009 #10
    You seem to have forgotten that the majority of world population and money is not in the US. Maybe it is time for you to learn again, that even you need to make compromises.

12. Apr 26, 2009 #11
    If Obama had a long and successful history of negotiations at a high level or substantial experience planning and implementing global strategies, I might argue we give him the benefit of the doubt with regards to his ground-breaking diplomatic start.

But, I'm not aware of any high level negotiations experience in his portfolio. Seems like a gamble...with potential consequences.

13. Apr 26, 2009 #12
    Diplomacy is a poker game.

14. Apr 26, 2009 #13

Is Obama a world class Poker-player?

15. Apr 26, 2009 #14
    We don't know that until the game is over, right?

16. Apr 26, 2009 #15
    As I posted...seems like gambling.

17. Apr 26, 2009 #16
    Every once in a while one has to take a step into the unknown.

18. Apr 26, 2009 #17
    Then we're in agreement...Obama is taking a gamble?

19. Apr 26, 2009 #18
    I find it hard to believe that he could do worse than our last president. North Korea got the bomb. Iran almost (I hope it is almost) has the bomb. We are tied down in two wars. Everyone hates us. Two towers in New York get knocked down with great loss of life. The Pentagon gets attacked with great loss of life. The World economy almost collapses…. If Obama does worse than that then we are all dead!!

20. Apr 27, 2009 #19

MATLABdude

Science Advisor

What did Theodore Roosevelt say? "Talk softly and carry a big stick", i.e. don't go around picking fights and saber rattling, but be ready if worst comes to worst. I don't believe a stated policy of belligerence is any better than a stated policy of appeasement. Talk is cheap, and war expensive; logic dictates that you should only do the latter when you absolutely need to (quick, glorious wars have a nasty habit of being neither)

(Yes, yes, big stick ideology was used in conjunction with manifest destiny and Roosevelt was the one that invaded Cuba and engineered the state of Panama, but the premise isn't a bad one)

21. Apr 27, 2009 #20

mheslep

Gold Member

that invaded Spanish held Cuba.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook