Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama Inaugural Address

1. Jan 20, 2009 #1

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

http://www.time.com/time/politics/article/0,8599,1872715,00.html

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 20, 2009 #2

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Really? Who counted twice, FDR (who served long enough for two), Cleveland (who served twice), or Taft (who weighed enough for two)? :uhh:

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Presumably you aren't president until you have taken the oath, but ex-presidents keep the title, so Cleveland on his second term was the only 'president' to swear it.

(incumbents don't re-swear for a second term do they?)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  5. Jan 20, 2009 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Why do you ask?

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

In the way that presidencies are counted Grover Cleveland is counted as 22 and 24 because of his discontiguous terms of office. While they call Obama 44, really he is but the 43rd unique individual to assume the office.

7. Jan 20, 2009 #6

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Apparently the president is the third highest paid federal employee - anyone guess what the two higher ones are?
    (if you work for a US university - you will know)

8. Jan 20, 2009 #7
    Navy football coach?

9. Jan 20, 2009 #8

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah yes, didn't think of that.

10. Jan 20, 2009 #9
    I'm excited about the whole "restore science to its rightful place" thing.
    Also, it's refreshing that he acknowledges us non–believers.

11. Jan 20, 2009 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Airforce and Army - the Navy guy is paid even more but it's a private donation !

12. Jan 20, 2009 #11

Words I wanted to hear.
    Thank you and congratulations President Obama.

13. Jan 20, 2009 #12

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

But he didn't say that... he said that he was the 44th American to swear the oath. Not that there were 44 oaths sworn (which may or may not be true), not that he was the 44th president.

Just a little pedantry I thought I'd bring up since I haven't seen it elsewhere.

14. Jan 20, 2009 #13

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjnygQ02aW4

I like this version because it includes Roberts screw up of the oath. And Obama knew the difference.

You'd think that with the Chief Justice having such little occasion to speak publicly outside the Court, that he could manage not to screw it up.

15. Jan 20, 2009 #14

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The first 7 presients weren't American - they were born in a British colony.
    Always dangerous around here

16. Jan 20, 2009 #15

mheslep

Gold Member

Appears he has his eye on the right ball with these statements. Cost, cost, cost; then coverage.

17. Jan 20, 2009 #16

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

They were American, just not born in the USA.

18. Jan 20, 2009 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

19. Jan 20, 2009 #18

mheslep

Gold Member

Quickly chasing obscurity before it gets away - Sorry I don't think VP Joe had his two minutes. As alluded to in the very last paragraph of your link, I think the technical legal reality is that the US actually has NO President for those couple of minutes. Accession to the office requires some 'controlling legal authority' to take direct action, in this case by means of someone taking the oath as specified in Art II, Sec 1. No one did until 44 stepped up. Same goes for Johnson after Kennedy's assassination, and hence the urgency of swearing him in on the plane back to Washington.

Attached Files:

20. Jan 20, 2009 #19

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I believe it must have been that concern that motivated Al Haig to rush to the reporters to inform them he was in charge when Reagan was shot and Bush hadn't been rounded up as backup. Never mind that he wasn't next after the VP in succession.

21. Jan 20, 2009 #20
    His speech was certainly on the positive note. He uses kind of a selective history and interpretation of it in efforts to be a good speech giver and to inspire people. I'm not saying it is a bad thing. Someone once taught me that every person, can be viewed in two lights. In one light they will be offensive and in another they will be respectable and inspiring. They told me that it is best for a person to choose to view others in the light which is least hurtful to yourself. This is how Obama would have us view America. I'm not sure I like this idea though, because as long as you keep exposing only the positive light, the longer the negative light can go un-noticed and not dealt with. I'm still waiting for Obama to be a little more realistic and down to earth. But, who knows, maybe he will just plain inspire us into a better county. I hope he is successful, but I'm not buying it until the rubber hits the road.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?