Obama on Al Arabia

• News
  • Thread starter Cyrus
  • Start date
It would also set the dangerous precedent of the US actually apologising for anything it did, we could have a floodgate situation.

russ_watters
Mentor
I believe the majority of anti-us sentiment in iran came from fear that bush would invade their country.
How they knew about Bush in the 1970s, '80s, and '90s is beyond me... :uhh:

russ_watters
Mentor
It's about time someone talked instead of pressing red buttons and talking crap. Ahmadinejad may not be the most amicable of Middle Eastern pseudo democratic leaders, but he is willing to talk.
He's certainly willing to talk - talking is what psychopathic despots do. What we need is a leader over there who is willing to actually do peace, as opposed to talking about annihilating us all the time (and, of course, the supporting terrorism thing he does....).

russ_watters
Mentor
I suspect you may be omitting one particular important group from the "international community": other countries in the ME.

I imagine that a poll in the ME of "who's the more evil person - Bush or Ahmedinejad?" would get you a nearly unanimous voice proclaiming Bush to be the worse of the two (and Ahmedinejad, by contrast and through standing up to Bush, looks like a hero). Obama has a much better chance of winning a popularity contest in the ME by playing his cards right. And if he can do that - get the locals more on his side - that's half the battle won.
I'm not sure if you read anything after that sentence, but it explains why what you just said is irrelevant..... No, Obama being more popular among the people who aren't terrorists in the Middle East does nothing for us. Perhaps you could argue what you think Obama's popularity among people who have no power does for us....

russ_watters
Mentor
Obvious question - if Iran is mostly moderate, how does a nutcase like that get elected? Are the elections really legitimate or are the people less moderate than the western media thinks?

russ_watters
Mentor
:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQdyEw6jfGQ
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Now that is classic comedy!, lol.

He's certainly willing to talk - talking is what psychopathic despots do. What we need is a leader over there who is willing to actually do peace, as opposed to talking about annihilating us all the time (and, of course, the supporting terrorism thing he does....).
Yes something tells me your lost in a world of Fox? Who has talked about annihilating anyone? And how is Ahmadinejad more of a psychopath than Bush? You are joking right?

Why is asking for peace funny? Must be some weird neocon sense of humour thing.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Obvious question - if Iran is mostly moderate, how does a nutcase like that get elected?
The same way Bush got elected.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: Now that is classic comedy!, lol.
You do realize that it WAS a joke, right?

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I just lost a long reply that I made to this post (and the one asking about how Ahmadinejad got elected), and don't have the determination to redo the whole thing.
No, Obama being more popular among the people who aren't terrorists in the Middle East does nothing for us.
That statement, IMO, is just plain ridiculous. If you think that terrorists in the ME operate out of isolation, you ought to prepare yourself for a culture shock if or when you eventually study the socio-political conditions in the ME better.

Here's a surefire way to get Ahmadinejad re-elected: go to the Knesset and make the kind of speech that Bush made last year.