Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama projected to win SC!

1. Jan 26, 2008 #1

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

CNN just announced Obama is projected to win SC, based on exit polls!!

:cool::cool::cool::cool:

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2008 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The voting just ended 7 minutes ago. Let's wait a few hours.

The earlier polls had Obama with 38%, Clinton 30%, Edwards 19%, and 13% undecided. Which way did the undecided go - I wonder.

4. Jan 26, 2008 #3

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Looks like the undecided went heavily for Obama. If the good news for Hillary Clinton was that she held off Edwards for 2nd place, then it's a major win for Obama.

CNN exit polls had about 20% making up their minds in the last few days and 51% of those went for Obama. About 60% of the voters said they were influenced by Bill Clinton's remarks. 48% of those went for Obama while 37% of those went for Hillary Clinton.

Bill Clinton may have made the biggest mistake of Hillary's campaign so far.

It backfired in South Carolina. It might still work to frame the race for Super Tuesday. It might also have turned Hillary's campaign into a Bill/Hillary campaign (with Bill intentionally first). Or, it might have backfired so badly that pushes Bill safely into the background where he can't mess up Hillary's campaign.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  5. Jan 26, 2008 #4

Astronuc

http://www.cnn.com/ELECTION/2008/primaries/results/state/#val=SC

With 23% of precincts reporting

Obama 53%
    Clinton 27%
    Edwards 20%

If it stays like that, it's a big win.

Meanwhile, Governor of Florida endorses McCain. That could tip the race to McCain in Florida.

And - New York Times endorses Clinton, backs McCain over Giuliani

6. Jan 26, 2008 #5

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That New York Times endorsement will be a real big help to McCain. Why didn't they just hand him a gun to shoot himself with?

7. Jan 26, 2008 #6

Astronuc

:rofl: It might impress some moderates. :rolleyes:

8. Jan 26, 2008 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

54 - 27 - 18: What a trouncing!

PS : Hey, those numbers make a harmonic progression!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2008
  9. Jan 26, 2008 #8

mheslep

Gold Member

Yes, take a look if you can at today's letter's to the Times re their McCain endorsement. Much gnashing of teeth that the Times would even acknowledge the existence of Republicans.

10. Jan 26, 2008 #9

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Where was this teeth-gnashing when they hired Kristol last month?

11. Jan 26, 2008 #10

mheslep

Gold Member

Didn't get to look. There must have been some, no?

12. Jan 26, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

YES!!!!!!

There aren't many things in life that make me feel like dancing, but right now I'm dancing a jig! WHAT a blowout!!! Amazing!!!!!!

13. Jan 26, 2008 #12

Astronuc

Now 55-27-18. Pretty decisive.

Let's see if Clinton changes her style.

14. Jan 26, 2008 #13
    A good day indeed, for those naive souls such as myself who are feeling completely disenfranchized by the satus quo.

15. Jan 26, 2008 #14

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is great news! Obama is one of the people fighting to reverse the funding cut in high energy physics. And, what a victory speech from Obama. Very moving and optimistic.

16. Jan 26, 2008 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me, disenfranchized doesn't even come close to covering it. I genuinely believe that it is do or die time for America. If we don't undo the damage done by Bush, and quickly, it won't be undone. Electing Obama would certainly be a step in the right direction.

17. Jan 26, 2008 #16

mheslep

Gold Member

Congress cut the HE physics funding.

18. Jan 26, 2008 #17

G01

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What I meant was that he is fighting to provide more money to the field in the 2009 budget. Being from Illinois, Obama felt the affect the new budget had on Fermilab. I'm sure this was a great impetus for him to support new funding for HE Physics.

19. Jan 26, 2008 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Both statements are true, and they do not contradict one another.

20. Jan 26, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The one thing that we know to be true is that Bush and his brand of Republicans seek to suppress scientific information. That is far worse than funding cuts!!!

21. Jan 27, 2008 #20
    This result made me really relieved. In the past two weeks, Senator Clinton has gone from someone I would've gladly voted for in the general election to someone that I'd support only to prevent another Republican from getting into office. I suspected that everything she and her husband have been doing to vilify Obama must be turning her off to a lot of people, and this result is confirmation of that. Exit polls indicate that Bill Clinton influenced 58% of the voters, mostly helping Obama.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?