Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Obama wins

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Obama wins!!!

IMO the best candidate by far, a black man named Hussein Obama wins in Iowa.

This is a historic day in America. Maybe there is hope after all.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2
    As long as Clinton loses, I'm happy.

4. Jan 3, 2008 #3

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

With 90% of precincts reporting, Edwards is 9 votes ahead of Clinton.

Interestingly in Iowa there are: 2,054,843 total registered voters -- 31% Democratic, 30% Republican, 39% Independent - so there is a reasonable chance for a 3rd party/independent to run.

Immigration and Iraq are apparently two key issues.

5. Jan 3, 2008 #4
    Where are you getting these results, I can't find them on the news anywhere!

6. Jan 3, 2008 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Jan 3, 2008 #6

Astronuc

I wonder if Obama-Edwards would work better than Kerry-Edwards?

Huckabee and ?

or

Romney and ?

I wonder if Thompson will pull back to third, or will he stay in.

8. Jan 4, 2008 #7
    A white man named Obama wins.

9. Jan 4, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not black enough for you? :rofl:

Deny deny deny!!!

A black man won in what is often called the whitest state in the union.

10. Jan 4, 2008 #9

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Historic, indeed!

I've been reading this forum for a while, and I'm happy to make my first post about Obama.

He can unite the country, I believe, and we haven't seen that in...what, two, three generations? Isn't everyone sick and tired of all of the animosity? We have to get out of the red-blue mentality.

11. Jan 4, 2008 #10

Evo

The problem, as I see it, is even if he can win the Democratic platform, do you think he'd have enough support within America as a whole to win the Presidency? Sadly, realistically, I think not.

12. Jan 4, 2008 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it has already been shown otherwise, but let's see how he does in New Hampshire. If he can win in the NE and Iowa, he can win anywhere. What's more, he pulled more women voters than Hillary!

Just a reminder: My red-neck, racist, corn farming cousin in Illinois, whom I've never once heard utter a nice or even respectable word about black people, likes Obama! From my point of view, this is about as hard of a sell as one can find. And considering that something like 40% of all voters have said thay they would never vote for Hillary, it may well be that racism will be less a factor than Hillary's high negatives.

ps. I need to check that number but I think that's correct.

I just noticed also that if last night had been a general election, with nearly twice as many Dems turning out than Reps, Obama would have slaughtered Chuckybee.

Late edit: Here is a poll from October

http://www.zogby.com/news/ReadNews.dbm?ID=1376

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  13. Jan 4, 2008 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to the cage.

You are on the blue team. :biggrin:

14. Jan 4, 2008 #13

ShawnD

Science Advisor

them silly womens, they'll vote for hillary because she a womens too

Yeah, that ***** and her um policies. Can you even name 3 things she believes?

15. Jan 5, 2008 #14
    One of the best arguments I've heard for Obama is: for two decades it's been Bush - Clinton - Bush. Do you want to make that Bush - Clinton - Bush - Clinton for maybe almost thirty years? (I guess that's essentially an argument for Edwards too.) Too much entrenchment - they'll get brittle bones and start to rot.

People say to me, "But Hilary's got so much experience!"

And I say, "Then she'll make a really great advisor. And Bill too." (Obama said that himself at some point, didn't he?)

And they say, "But it's not the same, she's been in the White House!"

So maybe, maybe she's had some kind of experience that Obama or Edwards just wouldn't be able to tap through an advisor. But along with Bill's experience comes Bill's political ties and debts.

In reality, I wouldn't mind her getting elected. But the carpetbagging thing in New York I found kind of unethical, and she admitted she was doing it herself and even flaunted it once she was sure it wouldn't cost too much politically. Between that, shady-looking things that came out during WhiteWater, and the inevitable IOUs that must still be lying around after the Bill Clinton presidency, she's looking too establishment for me to be totally comfortable with her.

But one big gold star on Obama is that he never supported the war. With a Marine brother just back from his 1st tour in Iraq that matters.

Obama not able to win nationally? I'm not seeing it, he hasn't done that badly in national polls has he? Even if so - I can accept that. I have not-infrequently voted for guys I wasn't sure would win, in both the primary and general election. He seems like the kinda guy I'll be proud to have voted for even if he didn't win.

16. Jan 5, 2008 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

Very true. IIRC, he made a pretty bang on prediction of there being a long-term and very costly occupation following an invasion, and that's exactly what happened.

17. Jan 5, 2008 #16

turbo

Gold Member

I spent a number of years doing consulting work in the deep south, and I have a hard time imagining that either Obama or Clinton could make a respectable showing there. The rednecks seemed to hate Bill Clinton with a passion that I could not fathom, and they will not vote for Hillary either. Obama is not going to have any easier time in the south, especially since in the last two elections, the Republicans have found a handy way to disenfranchise black voters. They pull up the names and addresses of registered black voters (voters in predominantly black areas) and send them notices by mail that requires a signature. If the person is not currently at the address under which they last registered to vote, and the mail is returned, the Republicans forward the voter's name to the registrar to be dropped from the list of registered voters. The citizen shows up to vote, only to be told that he/she is not a registered voter, and must re-register. In some cases, they might be able to re-register and vote, but in many locations, you cannot register on election day. These lists of likely Democratic voters are called "caging lists" and they have been used very effectively to disenfranchise many black voters, including many who are deployed to Iraq/Afghanistan and cannot sign for the mail that was sent to them because they are half-way around the world. In some cases, these voters still cast absentee ballots, but their ballots are "provisional", which means that they may well be disregarded.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caging_list
    http://www.larouchepac.com/pages/breaking_news/2007/06/01/conyers_rove.asp
    http://www.gnn.tv/articles/3078/Do_Rove_s_Missing_Emails_Prove_Illegal_Caging

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  18. Jan 5, 2008 #17

Evo

The debate is not yet over, but Obama has won me over 110%. Hillary was composed and on track, but Obama speaking without his hokey Evangelistic style showed an intelligent side to him.

19. Jan 5, 2008 #18

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

He uses that mainly in the south. It would be a bad idea to come off that way in front of a largely New England audience.

20. Jan 5, 2008 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

WOW!!!

21. Jan 5, 2008 #20

Evo

The fact that he is so direct, composed and literate in front of a normal audience speaks volumes for him. That is not something that can be coached. This guy is intelligent.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?