Obama wins

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On the other hand, does the conservative right need to actually do anything to discredit a black candidate?

chemisttree
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
On the other hand, does the conservative right need to actually do anything to discredit a black candidate?

That sentiment may actually come from the Hillary camp in the coming weeks. I think we can expect a veiled reference to his race in the form of the question from the Hillary campaign, "Is now the time that America will elect the first black president? Do you want to risk losing the Presidency on such a gamble?" At least, Dick Morris thinks so.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
CNN was just running a story about right-wing commentators who are impressed with Obama and who speak favorably of him. He also got some kudos from Colin Powell who is seen to be flirting with backing Obama. I have never seen anything like this!

It seems that the message of unification is faring well. I know that I for one am sick of being intolerably angry.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

...named Hussein Obama.

That was the gist of the email that I recieved - mindless racism and fear mongering.

Last edited:
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I think we can expect a veiled reference to his race in the form of the question from the Hillary campaign, "Is now the time that America will elect the first black president?
Unlikely since you only need to change one word to bounce it back on her.

You could of course save a great deal of time/effort/money by just permanently alternating a Clinton/Bush in the White House while leaving the lobbyists to get on with running the country.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Something else that is amazing here: Everyone, dem and reps alike, are forced to defer to Obama. The reps have even adopted his message of change!

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Something else that is amazing here: Everyone, dem and reps alike, are forced to defer to Obama.
First Sony win a format war and now this - it will be burning skies and four horseman I tell you .....

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Yes, in fact the sun seems to have disappeared.

Oh yeah, I live in Oregon; the sun is never out. Whew, that was a close one.

Art
Looks like Obama is going to lose in NH whilst McCain is winning by a mile. Seems the pollsters were way off the mark.

Hillary "the devil" bush seems to have won the entire nomination.. One can pretty much forget about obama now.
And all because of a tear in her eye.. Completely bogus.. Where will the world end?

One can pretty much forget about obama now.

He got the same number of NH delegates that she did. I think it's premature to call his cause lost, that's what they were doing with her recently. The only reason to say that either one of them has lost the race is if you work for a television network and you need to manufacture some news. :cool:

Evo
Mentor
Hillary "the devil" bush seems to have won the entire nomination.. One can pretty much forget about obama now.
And all because of a tear in her eye.. Completely bogus.. Where will the world end?
It's not the end, Obama & Clinton were just a couple of points off and there are several more primaries, with the momentum Obama has he could very easily wind up being the Democratic choice.

ShawnD
Science Advisor
In the end, what Obama has going for him here is the ablity to answer questions in a satisfactory manner. He is clear, direct, and seemingly honest. This is why I was impressed the first time that I saw Obama. What fails for me is when they won't answer the damned questions! For me, many times this counts negatively more than the answer; no matter what the answer might be.

Thank god somebody else feels this way. Somebody will ask a question, and the answer has absolutely nothing to do with the question most of the time. What's the point of even having these "debates" if they're just taking turns giving a speech they wrote 20 minutes earlier?

felt bleak a moment there.. There is something off with clinton.. It seems she loves the position more than the politics. We've got the same thing here in Norway, getting elected is more important than actually accomplishing something.. Thats why obama seems better.. Better for US, and that means, better for the world.. Really hope he is able to stay in the fight.. Maybe even kick hillarys ass in some discussions..

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
It's not the end, Obama & Clinton were just a couple of points off and there are several more primaries, with the momentum Obama has he could very easily wind up being the Democratic choice.

I agree; it's not even close to being over. If Obama had won, then Hillary would certainly be in big trouble. At this point she still has a chance, but Obama made a tremendous come-back in NH. He may have just peaked a little late.

I think Gokul is correct in saying that McCain probably took independent votes that Obama needed.

JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Has anyone thought about how the impact of a black president might have on foreign/international affairs?

Has anyone thought about the above with a white female as president?

I brought this up in front of a group of people and most seem to think it can have a negative impact on foreign affairs especially since some countries don't believe in women having any kind of power and sometimes white men don't like black men and so on.

What are your thoughts? Let's be real here and NOT politically correct because we're afraid to hurt someone. (Keep in mind PF rules, but saying you don't want a black president doing foreign affairs DOES NOT imply you're racist. Some colored agreed that they wouldn't want one themselves!)

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think Obama would be a very positive force for restoring US credibility in the world. He would be seen as the anti-Bush, and I think the entire world would see this as a very good thing. How valuable would it be in the ME to have a president of color named Obama? I think it would be incredibly valuable. Also, I don't see how having a black president would present any more problems internationally than having a white president does.

As for Hillary, gender may be an issue in some countries, but we have had powerful women in international politics, such as Albright, and Rice, so this is nothing new. Also, Great Britain and other countries have had very successful female leaders. Next, Hillary also has the Clinton name. Internationally, Bill was one of the most popular presidents in history, so that would be a real plus for her. Also, Bill could perform a critical role here and perhaps could help to restore order in the world. So in addition to what Hillary can bring to the table, Bill would certainly be a uniquely valuable resource. There may even be cases where, if a country has strong views that denigrate women, we could send Bill.

Last edited:
This doesnt matter much I believe jasonrox. Black, white, woman or man.. Probably the smallest factor at all..

In norway we have had female prime minister as have many many other countries. There are also numerous women who have been presidents. In the international arena it isnt the sex or the colour which is important.. its the politics ;)

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I think Obama would be a very positive force for restoring US credibility in the world. He would be seen as the anti-Bush, and I think the entire world would see this as a very good thing. Also, I don't see how having a black president would present any more problems internationally than having a white president does.
I concur with Ivan's assessment.

As for Hillary, gender may be an issue in some countries, but we have had powerful women in international politics, such as Albright, and Rice, so this is nothing new. Also, Great Britain and other countries have had very successful female leaders. Next, Hillary also has the Clinton name. Internationally, Bill was one of the most popular presidents in history so that would be a real plus for her. Also, Bill could perform a critical role here and perhaps could help to restore order in the world. So in addition to what Hillary can bring to the table, Bill would certainly be a uniquely valuable resource.
It worked for Margaret Thatcher, and it's worked for Angela Merkel of Germany, and Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese of Ireland. It's not big deal.

A president who's black would have the foreign affairs advantage that, if he's accused of completely ignoring the sitation in Darfur, no one is going to say that aspect of his policy has to do with him being white.

Art
IMO people like Obama more than they do Clinton when they get to see and hear him but come Feb 5th there are so many states declaring together he will be too thinly spread to get his message across and make the sort of impact he made in Iowa and New Hampshire.

ps
.... and Mary Robinson and Mary McAleese of Ireland.
Just to clarify on this point for those who don't know, the position of president in Ireland is purely symbolic. It carries no real powers but they do get to live in a nice official residence in Dublin's Phoenix Park very close to the American ambassador's residence. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
ps Just to clarify on this point for those who don't know, the position of president in Ireland is purely symbolic. It carries no real powers
It carries a more subtle power, ( like the Queen in the UK) there is no offical power but the value to diplomatic relationships and as an independant third party in peace negotiations is considerable.
Even if she did have full dictator powers - she would only have Eire's full military might to throw at someone anyway, there is probably more power in being a 'defencless' woman!

Has anyone thought about how the impact of a black president might have on foreign/international affairs?

I brought this up in front of a group of people and most seem to think it can have a negative impact on foreign affairs especially since some countries don't believe in women having any kind of power and sometimes white men don't like black men and so on.

What are your thoughts? Let's be real here and NOT politically correct because we're afraid to hurt someone. (Keep in mind PF rules, but saying you don't want a black president doing foreign affairs DOES NOT imply you're racist. Some colored agreed that they wouldn't want one themselves!)

I think its great. If a country has issue with it, then we can take our money to another country until the beg us to come back and will show their true colors. I dont think the US should waste their time with such ignorant countries by spending its money there; however, most political officials are not that stupid and have already dealt with leaders from countries that have a black or female leader. So its really not a valid point.

Gokul43201
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

Why foreign affairs? There are probably as many or more colored foreigners than white ones! Also, most foreign countries have had one or more female head of state/government. They think of the US as being socially primitive for thinking of women as less capable leaders.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_elected_or_appointed_female_heads_of_state
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Female_heads_of_government
http://womenshistory.about.com/od/rulers20th/a/women_heads.htm