1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object A catches Object B, at when?

1. Aug 23, 2005 #1
    Hello.

Before I state the problem, I would like to make clear that I ask for a HINT, a GUIDANCE, a DIRECTION-POINTING on the problem. What is the big picture here that I need to understand? Not necessarily requiring anyone to solve the problem for me. Thanks.

At t = 0 and x = 0, an initially stationary blue car begin accelerate at constant rate of 2m/s^2 in positive direction of the x axis. At t = 2s, a red car traveling in an adjacent lane and in the same direction, passes x = 0 with a speed of 8 m/s and a constant acceleration of 3m/s^2; When will the red car pass the blue car?​

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2005 #2

Danger

Gold Member

It would help if you asked a question.

4. Aug 23, 2005 #3
    If not too much trouble, solve the problem step by step please.

Otherwise, give me a hint please.

5. Aug 23, 2005 #4

Danger

Gold Member

I'm serious, bud. All that shows up in your post is the intro and a little grey box with the word 'code:' above it. I have absolutely no idea what you're referring to, let alone asking about. If that's supposed to be a link to something, it doesn't work on my system.

6. Aug 23, 2005 #5
    At t = 0 and x = 0, an initially stationary blue car begin accelerate at constant rate of 2m/s^2 in positive direction of the x axis. At t = 2s, a red car traveling in an adjacent lane and in the same direction, passes x = 0 with a speed of 8 m/s and a constant acceleration of 3m/s^2; When will the red car pass the blue car?

7. Aug 23, 2005 #6

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Blue is ahead of Red but Red is accelerating more (increasing its speed at a higher rate than Blue). You need to solve for the distance x (from the origin) at which Red will catch up with Blue. Have you studied calculus? What is the definition of acceleration that you have been taught?

8. Aug 24, 2005 #7

mukundpa

Homework Helper

hint: x will be the same for the two cars but for the red one the time interval is (t - 2) sec.

9. Aug 24, 2005 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the general formula x(t)= (1/2)at2+ v0t+ x0 to write x as a function of t for each a car. That gives you two equations in two unknowns. When one car passes the other, they will have the same position x at the same time t. Solve the two equations for x and t. t is the time one car passes the other.

10. Aug 24, 2005 #9
    try out this equation --
    (1/2)*2*t*t= 8(t-2) + (1/2)*3*(t-2)*(t-2)

also first try figuring out why this equation?
    hint -- displacement is constant..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?