Find the Distance of a Toy Zebra from a Chute

• Thread starter becky_marie11
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a stuffed toy zebra is pushed down a frictionless chute and eventually comes to rest on a horizontal surface. The height, initial speed, coefficient of kinetic friction, and acceleration due to gravity are all given. The solution involves using kinematic equations and conservation of energy to determine the final velocity and distance the toy zebra travels before coming to rest.
becky_marie11

Homework Statement

A boy shoves his stuffed toy zebra down a frictionless chute, starting at a height of 1.05 m above the bottom of the chute and with an initial speed of 1.71 m/s. The toy animal emerges horizontally from the bottom of the chute and continues sliding along a horizontal surface with coefficient of kinetic friction 0.263. How far from the bottom of the chute does the toy zebra come to rest? Take g = 9.81 m/s2.

h=1.05m
Vi=1.71m/s
μk=.263
g=9.81m/s^2

Homework Equations

K=1/2mv^2
W=-μmgd
W(non conservative)=Ef-Ei

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't even know where to start... I solved for the final velocity using regular kinematic equations, but without a mass, I have no idea how to go about this... please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

There's essentially two parts to the question. So the first part is calculating the speed which the object gets to when it gets to the bottom of the chute. I'm guessing you've done the regular kinematic equations for this part? Which equations did you use, and what answer did you get to?

Welcome to PF, becky_marie11!

I'm missing the relevant equation for potential energy.
Conservation of energy says that the total initial energy must have been canceled by the work done by friction.

Ohhh...Wait I figured it out. Nevermind! Thanks though!

I would first identify the relevant equations and variables in this problem. The initial height of the toy zebra can be represented by the variable h, the initial velocity by Vi, the coefficient of kinetic friction by μk, and the acceleration due to gravity by g. The mass of the toy zebra is not given, but it is not needed to solve this problem.

Next, I would use the conservation of mechanical energy equation, which states that the initial kinetic energy plus the initial potential energy equals the final kinetic energy plus the final potential energy. In this case, the initial potential energy is equal to the final potential energy because the toy zebra starts and ends at the same height. Therefore, we can set the initial kinetic energy equal to the final kinetic energy and solve for the final velocity.

Using the equation K=1/2mv^2, we can solve for the final velocity by plugging in the given values for the initial velocity and the coefficient of kinetic friction. This will give us the final velocity of the toy zebra as it reaches the bottom of the chute.

Next, we can use the equation W=-μmgd to find the work done by friction as the toy zebra slides along the horizontal surface. We can then use the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy, to solve for the distance d traveled by the toy zebra before it comes to rest.

Finally, we can plug in the values for g and the final velocity to solve for the distance d. This will give us the distance from the bottom of the chute where the toy zebra comes to rest.

1. How do you measure the distance of a toy zebra from a chute?

The distance of a toy zebra from a chute can be measured using a measuring tape or ruler. Simply place the measuring tool at the edge of the chute and extend it to the toy zebra. The measurement on the tool will give you the distance.

2. Why is it important to measure the distance of a toy zebra from a chute?

Measuring the distance of a toy zebra from a chute is important in order to ensure that the zebra is positioned correctly for the chute to function properly. It also helps in determining the trajectory and force needed for the zebra to successfully pass through the chute.

3. What factors can affect the distance of a toy zebra from a chute?

The distance of a toy zebra from a chute can be affected by several factors such as the angle of the chute, the weight and size of the zebra, and any obstacles in the path of the zebra.

4. Can the distance of a toy zebra from a chute be adjusted?

Yes, the distance of a toy zebra from a chute can be adjusted by moving the zebra closer or further away from the chute. This can be done by hand or using a mechanical device.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when measuring the distance of a toy zebra from a chute?

Yes, it is important to make sure that the chute is not in use when measuring the distance of a toy zebra. Additionally, make sure to stand clear of the chute and zebra to avoid any potential accidents.