1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object falls down frictionless chute and hits surface with coefficient of friction

1. Feb 18, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A boy shoves his stuffed toy zebra down a frictionless chute, starting at a height of 1.05 m above the bottom of the chute and with an initial speed of 1.71 m/s. The toy animal emerges horizontally from the bottom of the chute and continues sliding along a horizontal surface with coefficient of kinetic friction 0.263. How far from the bottom of the chute does the toy zebra come to rest? Take g = 9.81 m/s2.

h=1.05m
    Vi=1.71m/s
    μk=.263
    g=9.81m/s^2

2. Relevant equations
    K=1/2mv^2
    W=-μmgd
    W(non conservative)=Ef-Ei

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't even know where to start... I solved for the final velocity using regular kinematic equations, but without a mass, I have no idea how to go about this... please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2012 #2

BruceW

Homework Helper

Re: Object falls down frictionless chute and hits surface with coefficient of frictio

There's essentially two parts to the question. So the first part is calculating the speed which the object gets to when it gets to the bottom of the chute. I'm guessing you've done the regular kinematic equations for this part? Which equations did you use, and what answer did you get to?

4. Feb 19, 2012 #3

I like Serena

Homework Helper

Re: Object falls down frictionless chute and hits surface with coefficient of frictio

Welcome to PF, becky_marie11!

I'm missing the relevant equation for potential energy.
    Conservation of energy says that the total initial energy must have been canceled by the work done by friction.

5. Feb 19, 2012 #4

Ohhh...Wait I figured it out. Nevermind! Thanks though!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook