Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object Hovering In St. Paul Sky

1. Aug 20, 2004 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://wcco.com/localnews/local_story_232202348.html

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 20, 2004 #2

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Noctilucent cloud?

4. Aug 20, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We should be hearing more. Apparently a local meteorologist went out and saw the thing, but he was stumped for the moment. I heard one observer report that the object was seen at about 70 degrees at a distance of about 20 miles - this would imply that the object was about 55 miles high. Of course this all hinges on some seat of the pants observations by presumably untrained observers.

Edit: That is to say that the observation was made about 20 miles from St. Paul where the object was reported as directly overhead.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  5. Aug 20, 2004 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You know, Bush was there yesterday. That made me wonder if this could be related to security.

Edit: Holy cow that's it!!! ET is providing security for Bush. :biggrin:

Last edited: Aug 20, 2004
  6. Aug 20, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

7. Aug 20, 2004 #6

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Was that the surface wind? You can't ever assume the wind at 1000 feet is the same as at the surface. It could be calm up there. I'm thinking now about the kind of sinking air mass that produces seiches over lakes. As it sank it wiould heat, and the moisture in it would evaporate, so to have a continuous image of a cloud it would have to keep drawing from above, in a kind of equilibrium. I don't know if all of this is physically possible, but I don't see anything wrong with it up front.

8. Aug 20, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That is data taken at 1000 [982]feet at a weather observatory on a mountain near North St. Paul. It is listed as one option for St. Paul weather data.

I'm hoping some good videos were taken. No doubt, there are some amazing cloud formations or other related phenomenon from time to time. I have seen some pictures of lenticular lcouds around and over Shasta that were absolutely amazing.

9. Aug 20, 2004 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, it is called the mountain observatory, but it only appears to be 100 feet above the downtown station.

10. Aug 21, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

11. Aug 22, 2004 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The balloon explanation does not seem to jive with some of the intial reports. For one, from what I have heard and read so far, the object was visible for several hours but significant winds were present. Also,

So, just in case, I am trying to get the data for wind speeds at various altitudes during the late afternoon of the 19th. Hopefully I will recieve a response from the St. Paul airport or the National Weather service, but if anyone knows a place to get this on the net please speak up.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  12. Aug 22, 2004 #11
    These UFO reports are so weird.. There seems to be so many, but they are all written off as junk adn yet nothing is ever proved. Like this "was a balloon." Or the Mexican airforce was some other BS. But it's all speculation. It's amazing that in this day and age we can't even tell what the thing was. Why couldn't someone fly a helicopter to the thing and look?

13. Aug 22, 2004 #12

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Is it still there, or did it go away? Did anyone watch it go away?

14. Aug 22, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One witness reported watching it until it was lost in the dark after sunset. The next morning it was gone. Later that day it was seen again.

15. Sep 7, 2004 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For the complete report, please see the first page at
    http://www.nwlink.com/~ufocntr/

16. Sep 9, 2004 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The database has some first hand reports for viewing. See the date - 8/19 - then city/state.

http://www.nuforc.org/webreports/ndxe200408.html

Oh yes, wind data for various altitudes was not yet available for free through the national weather service. I should be able to get it online after the posting delay. The airport doesn't keep this information; at least not for the public.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2004
  17. Sep 30, 2004 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/09/29/security.blimp.ap/

:confused:

18. Sep 30, 2004 #17

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hadn't read this thread before, but as soon as I started reading it today, I thought of the all-white blimp that was seen flying yesterday over DC.

You know what one thing all UFO stories have in common? Crappy pictures. Why can't anyone ever take a clear picture of these things? Maybe then we'd know what they really are rather than these horrible, grainy, pixelated images that usually get posted of UFOs.

19. Sep 30, 2004 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I have seen some great videos and pictures. The trouble is that the authenticity is always suspect by the very nature of the claim. Prove it wasn't faked.

20. Oct 2, 2004 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?