Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object in Vacuum

1. Aug 3, 2010 #1
    I had a idea while driving, I have some physics background from college but not much.

If an object were to fall in a vacuum with a gravitational force there would be nothing from slowing it down and it would keep accelerating. If you were to drop an bowling ball in a vacuum with a extreme gravitational pull and ALOT of space nothing would stop it and should go faster then light? It would be impossible to replicate but in theory.

Thanks alot

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2010 #2
    I think I asked something similar to this in https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2555021#post2555021". What you have to remember is that you can accelerate forever, but still never reach the speed of light. If I'm remembering right, the acceleration of the object gets infinitely smaller and smaller to an outside observer, but would remain constant from the perspective of the falling object due to time dilation. Hopefully I'm wording that correctly.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Aug 3, 2010 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To the outside observer, the force on an object traveling near the speed of light ends up mostly as increased mass, rather than increased speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook