Object is 1000 feet away, how many pixels on my monitor will it be?

• Thread starter codeman9
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Monitor
In summary, to determine the number of pixels on a 72 dpi computer monitor from a camera with a 1/4" interlaced CCD and 3.5mm to 91mm focal length with F1.6 to F4.0 aperture and 26x optical zoom, you will need to calculate the image size in inches by dividing the resolution by the dpi. Then, use the visual angle and diagonal size of the monitor to calculate the number of pixels on the screen.
codeman9
I need to determine how many pixels on my 72 dpi computer monitor an object will be taken from a camera with the following specs:
1/4" interlaced CCD
3.5mm to 91mm focal length
F1.6 to F4.0
26x optical zoom
angle of view: 1.7 degrees to 47 degrees
resolution: 704x576

I'm not to0 familiar with cameras or this topic. I thought that calculating the visual angle, V, of the object would help (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_angle) but I'm not sure what to do next. V = 19.70 degrees.

Help?

Physics news on Phys.org
To determine the number of pixels on your 72 dpi computer monitor, you will need to calculate the image size in inches. You can do this by dividing the resolution (704x576) by the dots per inch (72). This will give you an image size of 9.778 x 8.222 inches. Then, using the visual angle (V) of 19.70 degrees and the diagonal size of the monitor, you can calculate the number of pixels on the screen by multiplying the diagonal size of the monitor (in inches) by the tangent of V divided by 2. This should give you a result of the number of pixels on the monitor.

1. How do I calculate the number of pixels on my monitor for a given distance?

The number of pixels on a monitor for a given distance can be calculated by using the formula: (Distance x Monitor Resolution) / Viewable Width of Monitor. This will give you the number of pixels that will be displayed on your monitor for the specified distance.

2. What is the importance of knowing the number of pixels for a given distance?

Knowing the number of pixels on your monitor for a given distance is important for accurately displaying and viewing images, videos, and other visual content. It can also help with determining the appropriate screen size and resolution for your specific needs.

3. How does the viewing distance affect the number of pixels on a monitor?

The viewing distance plays a significant role in determining the number of pixels on a monitor. The farther away you are from the screen, the larger the pixels will appear. This means that for the same distance, a larger screen will have more pixels than a smaller screen, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image.

4. Can the number of pixels on a monitor change for different objects at the same distance?

Yes, the number of pixels on a monitor can change for different objects at the same distance. This is because the size and resolution of the object being displayed can affect the number of pixels needed to accurately represent it on the screen. For example, a high-resolution image will require more pixels than a low-resolution image at the same distance.

5. How does the type of monitor affect the number of pixels at a given distance?

The type of monitor can affect the number of pixels at a given distance. For instance, a high-definition (HD) monitor will have a higher resolution and therefore more pixels per inch, resulting in a clearer and more detailed image compared to a standard definition (SD) monitor. Similarly, a 4K monitor will have even more pixels per inch than an HD monitor, resulting in an even sharper image at the same distance.