Calculating Work on a Slope with Friction Coefficient of 0.2

• Thread starter fsxadder
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Slope
In summary: F(f) = mg x d Where mg is the mass of the object. Next, calculate the drag force.
fsxadder

Homework Statement

An object of mass 3kg is sliding down a slope with a friction coefficient of 0.2. The distance over which it slides down before it hits the ground is 7m. Write down an expression for work peformed on the object over the seven metres as a function of the angle X that the slope makes with the horizontal.

The angle X is between the hill and the horizontal with the object on the hill.

Homework Equations

Frictional coefficent
Work

The Attempt at a Solution

Ive tried multiple times and i keep getting stuck at the angle part. If anyone could go through the whole calculation so i can cross reference would be great. Please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Show the details of your calculation so far. How do you find the force of friction?

Doc Al said:
Show the details of your calculation so far. How do you find the force of friction?

The frictional coefficient given is 0.2 I put that into the frictional coefficient equation but is not making sense.

First i was going to find the two components of the Weight and the horizontal force

Then Fs.

Then Fn

But i don't know how to. Please show!

You need to learn how to find the components of the weight parallel and perpendicular to the incline. Read this: http://www.physicsclassroom.com/Class/vectors/u3l3e.cfm"

Last edited by a moderator:
Ive calculated that the expression for work performed on an object over a distance as a function of Angle X.

205.8*(sin(X) - 0.2* cos(X) ) J

I now need to calculate, presuming with the above worked out, the energy lost at the following angles:

10 degrees
20 degrees
30 degrees

(These angles are the angles that the slope makes with the horizontal)
The mass of the object is 3kg
The length of the slope is 7m

fsxadder said:
Ive calculated that the expression for work performed on an object over a distance as a function of Angle X.

205.8*(sin(X) - 0.2* cos(X) ) J
This gives you the net work done by all forces acting on the object. Is that what you're asked to find?

I now need to calculate, presuming with the above worked out, the energy lost at the following angles:

10 degrees
20 degrees
30 degrees
By 'energy lost' do you mean the work done by friction?

Doc Al said:
This gives you the net work done by all forces acting on the object. Is that what you're asked to find?

They're asking me to write an expression for the work performed on the object over the 7m as a function of the angle X.

By 'energy lost' do you mean the work done by friction?

The Energy Lost is referring to the ENERGY LOST DUE TO FRICTION

fsxadder said:
They're asking me to write an expression for the work performed on the object over the 7m as a function of the angle X.
Work performed by what force? All forces? If so, your expression does that.
The Energy Lost is referring to the ENERGY LOST DUE TO FRICTION
OK, just calculate the work done by friction.

Doc Al said:
OK, just calculate the work done by friction.

How would i do that?

Would use this equation:

W = F(f) x d

How would i calculate F(f)

Im literllay begging for an an explanation here,r please.

fsxadder said:
How would i do that?
:confused: How did you arrive at the expression you posted? That contains the work done by friction.

Would use this equation:

W = F(f) x d
Yes.

How would i calculate F(f)
Start by calculating the normal force.

1. What is the force that keeps an object on a slope from sliding down?

The force that keeps an object on a slope from sliding down is called friction. Friction is the force that occurs when two surfaces rub against each other and it acts in the opposite direction of motion.

2. How does the angle of the slope affect the object's motion?

The steeper the slope, the greater the force of gravity acting on the object and the more likely it is to slide down. The angle of the slope also affects the normal force and therefore the amount of friction acting on the object.

3. How does the weight of the object affect its motion on a slope?

The weight of the object affects the force of gravity acting on it, which in turn affects the amount of friction needed to keep it from sliding down the slope. The heavier the object, the more friction is needed to keep it in place.

4. Can the type of surface on the slope affect the object's motion?

Yes, the type of surface on the slope can greatly affect the object's motion. For example, a smooth surface will have less friction compared to a rough surface, which will make it easier for the object to slide down the slope.

5. What is the formula for calculating the force of friction on an object on a slope?

The formula for calculating the force of friction on an object on a slope is: Ff = μN, where Ff is the force of friction, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The normal force is equal to the weight of the object multiplied by the cosine of the angle of the slope.