• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Object on an Incline

• Thread starter Format
  • Start date
screw off man...i didnt come here to be scrutinized, i simply needed help with a question. And it was a simple mistake of writing down a "g" instead of an "a". Its late and i have a headache, and for the 3rd time thankyou for your assitance.

Diane_

Homework Helper
Format - It may seem to you that people are being picky about this, and perhaps they are. The problem is that the details are the things that trip people up more often than not. When you wrote

mg = (sin 60)mg

the obvious response is to divide both side by mg, leaving

1 = sin 60

which is obvious nonsense.

I know what you meant, as do you and everyone else who read it. But I have seen students do things like that, and halfway through the problem they sort of "forget" what they meant when they wrote it. The end result is sometimes unintentionally funny, but it never helps them learn.

Just remember: the terminology and orthography are all important. In many cases, they've been developed over the course of the past couple of centuries specifically to avoid confusion. People sometimes think that, if they understand "the big picture", the rest will follow. This is almost never true in introductory science.

And please don't feel like you're being picked on. Every one of us has been where you are. We're just trying to help you avoid some of the problems we had.

Well said Diane, as long as you don't give up and learn from your mistakes, it'll be fine

lol, although the post has been deleted, i think saying i wont pass with a decent grade because of acciddently putting a 'g' where an 'a' was supposed to be is goin a bit to far. Been done with this question for a while now so no need to keep posting, thx for your help