1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Object rolling down an incline

1. Jan 14, 2013 #1
    An object (for example cylinder) is rolling down an incline, with no slip. We know there is some friction and we have to find the velocity of the objects. There are 2 ways of doing so with calculating resultant force and using Newton's laws and the energy method. Why is it that when we are using the energy method we dont have to take into account the friction and our answer is still right?

Mass - m
    Radius of the cylinder - r
    Moment of Inertia - I=(mr^2)/2
    Distance travelled - s
    Angle of Incline - θ
    Acceleration due to gravity- g

I know the answer is v= sqrt(4*s*g*sinθ/3)

Thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 14, 2013 #2
    What type of friction is present, kinetic or static?

4. Jan 14, 2013 #3
    The question did not say. But when you compute the velocity using the force method or the energy method (while using the second one assume no friction force) and the answer is the same. I do not quite understand the solution probably thats the problem itself.

5. Jan 14, 2013 #4
    The problems inadvertently says it, I'm asking what your interpretation of the problem is, do you think the friction keeping the cylinder from slipping is kinetic or static?

6. Jan 14, 2013 #5
    Ohh now I see what you mean. Should be static?

7. Jan 14, 2013 #6
    Correct. Can static friction do work on an object?

8. Jan 14, 2013 #7
    No.
    Yeah thanks a lot for the help.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook