Object undergoing acceleration

In summary, we discussed the properties of an object undergoing acceleration and how it relates to its initial and final velocities. We also explored the change in speed and direction of an object and how it is not directly related to the magnitude of acceleration multiplied by time. This is due to the fact that the change in speed is a function of the initial and final velocities, which may not necessarily be aligned with the acceleration vector.
negation

Homework Statement

An object undergoes acceleration 2.3i + 3.6j for 10s. At the end of this time, its velocity is 33i + 15j.
a) What was its velocity at the beginning of the 10s interval?
b) By how much did it's speed change?
c) By how much did its direction change?
d) Show that the speed change is not given by the magnitude of the acceleration multiplied by time. why?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) a→= Δv/Δt

vi→ = (33i + 15j) - (23i + 36j)
vi→ = (10i -21j) ms^-1

b) |vi→| = 23.26ms^-1
|vf→| = 36.25ms^-1
speed = |v| = (|vi→|) -|vf→|
|v| = 13ms^-1

c)tanΘ = 15/33
Θ=24.45°

d) |a→| = sqrt (2.3^2 + 3.6^2) = 4.272ms^-1
Δt = 10s

|a→|.10s [itex]\neqΔv[/itex]
∴4.272ms^-1 . 10s [itex]\neq13ms^-1[/itex]

what is the explanation?

Physics news on Phys.org
what do you know about the initial directions of the velocity and acceleration?

hav0c said:
what do you know about the initial directions of the velocity and acceleration?

Could you be more specific?

How are velocity and speed defined? Is it possible that the velocity changes and the speed does not?
If the velocity is [itex] \vec {v } = \vec {v_0} +\vec {a } t [/itex] what is the change of the speed during time t?

ehild

ehild said:
How are velocity and speed defined? Is it possible that the velocity changes and the speed does not?
If the velocity is [itex] \vec {v } = \vec {v_0} +\vec {a } t [/itex] what is the change of the speed during time t?

ehild

Is this question with respect to part (d)?

negation said:
Is this question with respect to part (d)?

yes, of course.

ehild

ehild said:
yes, of course.

ehild

Are my reasoning and workings valid from part(a) - part(c)?

In respond to your earlier question, the change in velocity is a function of time.
vf = vi + at

a.t = Δv
a = (2.3i + 3.6j)

Δv = 10*(2.3i + 3.6j) = 23i + 36j

negation said:

Homework Statement

An object undergoes acceleration 2.3i + 3.6j for 10s. At the end of this time, its velocity is 33i + 15j.
a) What was its velocity at the beginning of the 10s interval?
b) By how much did it's speed change?
c) By how much did its direction change?
d) Show that the speed change is not given by the magnitude of the acceleration multiplied by time. why?

The Attempt at a Solution

a) a→= Δv/Δt

vi→ = (33i + 15j) - (23i + 36j)
vi→ = (10i -21j) ms^-1

b) |vi→| = 23.26ms^-1
|vf→| = 36.25ms^-1
change of speed = Δ|v| = (|vi→|) -|vf→|
Δ|v| = 13ms^-1

It was the change of speed.
negation said:
c)tanΘ = 15/33
Θ=24.45°

That is the angle of the final velocity Θf. What is the initial angle? By how much did the direction change?

negation said:
d) |a→| = sqrt (2.3^2 + 3.6^2) = 4.272ms^-1
Δt = 10s

|a→|.10s [itex]\neqΔv[/itex]
∴4.272ms^-1 . 10s [itex]\neq13ms^-1[/itex]

what is the explanation?

The change of velocity is

[tex]\vec v_f - \vec v_i=\vec a t [/tex]

You can make a triangle with side-lengths vf,vi and at. What do you know about the sides of a triangle? Can you draw a triangle with one side equal to the difference of the two other sides? How does it look like? What relation is true among the side lengths of a general triangle?

ehild said:
It was the change of speed.

That is the angle of the final velocity Θf. What is the initial angle? By how much did the direction change?

final angle = 24.4 degrees
initial angle = arctan (-21/10) = -64.5 degrees
Θchange = Θf - Θi = 89°

ehild said:
The change of velocity is

[tex]\vec v_f - \vec v_i=\vec a t [/tex]

You can make a triangle with side-lengths vf,vi and at. What do you know about the sides of a triangle? Can you draw a triangle with one side equal to the difference of the two other sides? How does it look like? What relation is true among the side lengths of a general triangle?

But isn't the change in velocity mathematically reasoned to be a.t?

dv/dt = a
therefore,
a.dt = dv

Edit: it's the same thing.
Untitled.jpg

In general, the sides can be expressed as ratio of one another. This property effective allows us to determine the angle between the lengths.

Last edited:
negation said:
final angle = 24.4 degrees
initial angle = arctan (-21/10) = -64.5 degrees
Θchange = Θf - Θi = 89°

But isn't the change in velocity mathematically reasoned to be a.t?

dv/dt = a
therefore,
a.dt = dv

Edit: it's the same thing.
View attachment 65773

In general, the sides can be expressed as ratio of one another. This property effective allows us to determine the angle between the lengths.

Yes, the change of velocity (vector) is the acceleration (vector) multiplied by time. But that is not true to the change of speed.
Look at your triangle. The length of one side is equal to the initial speed |v1|, the other is equal to the final speed |v2|, and the length of the third side is |a|t - magnitude of acceleration multiplied by time. Is |v2|-|v1|=|a|t?

ehild

ehild said:
Yes, the change of velocity (vector) is the acceleration (vector) multiplied by time. But that is not true to the change of speed.
Look at your triangle. The length of one side is equal to the initial speed |v1|, the other is equal to the final speed |v2|, and the length of the third side is |a|t - magnitude of acceleration multiplied by time. Is |v2|-|v1|=|a|t?

ehild

Yes I noticed.

vf - vi = a.t [itex]\neq sqrt[vf^2 + vi^2][/itex]

Edit: yes it.

You need to write some explanation which holds for any vector difference. In this case, the initial and final velocities are almost perpendicular. Compare the magnitude of the difference and the difference of the magnitudes in general case.

ehild

ehild said:
You need to write some explanation which holds for any vector difference. In this case, the initial and final velocities are almost perpendicular. Compare the magnitude of the difference and the difference of the magnitudes in general case.

ehild

I'll contemplate on the reasoning symbolically.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It can be described as the change in speed or direction of an object.

2. How is acceleration measured?

Acceleration is measured in units of distance per time squared, such as meters per second squared (m/s²) or feet per second squared (ft/s²). It can also be measured using a device called an accelerometer, which detects changes in an object's velocity.

3. What causes an object to undergo acceleration?

An object can undergo acceleration due to a change in its velocity, which can be caused by forces acting on the object. These forces can be external, such as gravity or friction, or they can be internal, such as the force of a muscle pushing against an object.

4. What is the difference between average and instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is the overall change in an object's velocity over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time, while instantaneous acceleration is calculated using calculus.

5. How does an object's mass affect its acceleration?

An object's mass does not directly affect its acceleration, but it does affect the amount of force needed to accelerate the object. According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on the object and inversely proportional to its mass. This means that a larger force is needed to accelerate a more massive object compared to a less massive object.