Objective article about physics/engineering in development

• Thread starter KingNothing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    article
In summary, a writer has been asked to write an objective article about developments in physics and engineering. They live in a small town with limited topics to cover, but have found the MINOS neutrino detector in their state. They ask for suggestions on interesting developments and someone recommends using the MINOS detector as a starting point, mentioning its connections to projects in Japan and Europe. Other suggestions include nano-technology and the use of quantum dots in solar cells. The President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology has also released a report on the National Nanotechnology Initiative's progress.
KingNothing
Well, I've been asked by a local newspaper to write an objective article about physics/engineering in development. Pretty broad, huh? Well, I live in a small town, so there's nothing here to talk about, other than the MINOS neutrino detector in my state. But it's supposed to be more worldy, I guess.

So, I ask you the most broad question ever: what interesting developments are being made in physics/engineering?

some things I thought of:
-new underwater 'fish lung' to replace O2 tanks?
- http://www.international-spaceplane-program.org/pages/1/index.htm [Broken] ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just on a bit of a tangent why not use the MINOS neutrino detector as your start point, and talk around the duscoveries and parts of physics that that detector is linked to. Then also, as there are MINOS projects in Japan and Europe you could make links with those.

Jsut my 2 Cents!

1 question, the MINOS dectector is in Minnosota isn't it?

-NewScientist

Yeah. I read about it in the star tribune (biggest paper in MN) and I just thought "Hey, cool!"

You might consider nano-technology. Here are a few links that I've used. You could look at "smart materials" as well.

Spray-On Solar-Power Cells Are True Breakthrough
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0114_050114_solarplastic.html

...By working on the nanometer scale, Evident's quantum dots exploit the quantum properties of materials, helping to overcome the limitations of traditional semiconductor devices. In the case of PV solar cells, Evident's quantum dot semiconductors are unique in their ability to inexpensively capture a large percentage of the sun's energy while retaining great versatility of form quantum dots can be made into flexible sheets, put into liquid form, or made to be transparent. The relative low cost and high performance of quantum dots vis-à-vis bulk silicon semiconductor material and thin films allows dots to theoretically achieve the third generation goal of ~60% efficiency and $100 or less per square meter of paneling necessary to make PV solar cells economically competitive...
http://www.evidenttech.com/applications/quantum-dot-solar-cells.php [Broken]

(May 18, 2005) The President's Council of Advisors on Science and Technology (PCAST) released the report, The National Nanotechnology Initiative at Five Years: Assessment and Recommendations of the National Nanotechnology Advisory Panel. The report is PCAST's first assessment of the Federal Government's nanotechnology research efforts in its role as the National Nanotechnology Advisory Panel (NNAP). Among PCAST's findings are...
http://www.nano.gov/

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the importance of physics and engineering in development?

Physics and engineering play a crucial role in the development of our society. They provide the foundation for technological advancements and innovations that improve our everyday lives. From transportation and communication systems to healthcare and energy production, physics and engineering contribute to all aspects of our modern world.

2. How does physics contribute to the field of engineering?

Physics provides the fundamental laws and principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy. These principles are applied in engineering to design and develop various technologies and systems. For example, the laws of thermodynamics are used in the design of power plants, while the principles of mechanics are applied in the development of vehicles and structures.

3. What are some current developments in physics and engineering?

There are numerous ongoing developments in the fields of physics and engineering. Some notable examples include renewable energy technologies, such as solar and wind power, advancements in quantum computing, and the development of sustainable materials and construction methods. Additionally, research is being conducted in areas such as nanotechnology, artificial intelligence, and space exploration.

4. How do physics and engineering contribute to sustainable development?

Physics and engineering are essential in achieving sustainable development goals. By utilizing renewable energy sources and developing eco-friendly technologies, they help reduce our carbon footprint and minimize environmental impact. Additionally, through research and development, they contribute to finding sustainable solutions for resource management and waste reduction.

5. What are some challenges faced in the field of physics and engineering in development?

One of the main challenges in the field of physics and engineering is the constant need for innovation and adaptation. As technology and society evolve, new challenges and demands arise, requiring continuous advancements and improvements. Additionally, there are also challenges in funding and resources, as well as ethical considerations in the development and use of certain technologies.