Objective Certainty: How Can We Know?

• Thread starter pctopgs
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of objective certainty and how it relates to a character on a television show who claims to be a certain percentage sure about something. It is debated whether this certainty is based on intuition or a more calculated approach, such as Bayesian analysis. Ultimately, it is concluded that there is no absolute, objective certainty and it may come down to a matter of opinion and semantics.
pctopgs
Hey guys, I'll get straight to the point

Today I was watching a television show in which a character said "from he data I analyzed, I'm 86% sure that I'm right" but when new data was revealed to the character, he says "Now I'm 92% certain that I'm right". The character doesn't show how he arrived at these numbers, and that's why I'm here: Is it possible to be objectively certain about something? If so, how?

I'm anticipating the character was just going by intuition and just made up numbers, but I just think it's unlikely that's that case...the Show btw is Numb3rs.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think it comes down to a matter of opinion and semantics; but it would be pretty hard to argue that there is an absolute, objective certainty about anything (certainly Descartes wouldn't think so).
The way one would come about numbers like that would be through a Bayesian analysis of the data and the theory he's comparing them to. see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bayesian_statistics

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confidence_level"

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is objective certainty?

Objective certainty is the concept that something is absolutely true and cannot be doubted or questioned. It is the highest level of certainty that we can achieve.

2. How do we know when something is objectively certain?

There are a few criteria that must be met for something to be considered objectively certain, including logical coherence, empirical evidence, and consensus among experts in the field.

3. Can anything ever be considered objectively certain?

Some philosophers argue that it is impossible to achieve true objective certainty because our perceptions and interpretations of the world are always influenced by our individual biases and perspectives. Others believe that it is possible, but extremely rare.

4. How does objective certainty differ from subjective certainty?

Subjective certainty is based on personal beliefs and opinions, while objective certainty relies on evidence and logical reasoning. Subjective certainty is relative and can vary from person to person, while objective certainty is absolute and applies universally.

5. Is objective certainty necessary for scientific knowledge?

Some scientists argue that objective certainty is essential for scientific knowledge, as it allows for the most accurate and reliable understanding of the natural world. However, others believe that science can still progress and make valuable discoveries without achieving perfect objectivity.