Is There a Way to Define Your Life's Purpose?

• Thread starter Saint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Life
In summary, the conversation discusses different perspectives on the criteria for setting objectives in life. While one person believes in following one's dreams and going after what they want, another suggests that success may be the ultimate goal in life. The concept of success is then further explored, with one person mentioning the pursuit of intellectualism and another suggesting that the aim of life is to raise children. Ultimately, it is acknowledged that the purpose of life may differ for each individual and that one should strive for what brings them happiness and fulfillment.
Saint
Is there a criteria to set you objectives of life ?:smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Psychologically speaking, yes. Social Role theory dictates a very obvious and average life style. Quite simply,(i'll skip a few years since I'm pretty sure you'll get the overall idea) you graduate from college, get a job, get married (or vice versa), have kids etc. This basic, avarage life style is often depicted in movies, and tv.

Originally posted by Saint

Yes: If you want something, go for it.

"Always shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you're still among the stars."

Fun ?

Of course there is. It's my motto posted at the end of every post I make here. However, I will add that if someone is shooting at you, its better to zig zag than run in circles. :0)

Didn't someone say it was to accelerate entropy in the universe?

It would differ for each person, but the old saying, follow your dreams, seems to work out even when it doesn't work out.
For me I haven't found any other direction as rewarding as intellectualism,
or the pursuit of improving one's intellect; it seems like the more one improves their mind the more the world seems to enrich and deepen in complexity and simplicity, because the way one views the world is a reflection of their mind. But that's just me I'm sure there are lots of other objectives just as or more rewarding, but in my experience if a dream is way out of reach as to be virtually impossible then it's better to go for more attainable dreams first, the one's way out are likely to leave us feeling helpless and all are efforts futile, on the other hand making a few modest dreams come true can encourage us to pursue others.

Oh, okay then! If it isn't a scientific explanation...
I believe the object of success has been what has been mostly specified. Is that what the object of life is, success? I know it is a silly question; I have been told, all my life "be successful". But how about people in the past (thousands of years ago, that is) when all they had to work for was food, shelter, the basics? What was their object of life?
Other than that, here are a few pointers for success (that I take refuge in):
"No one can put you down without your consent"- I believe Elenor(sp?) Rosevelt said this.
Also, "The world is what you make of it"
And what I always keep in mind is that you get what you work for, and always try and never give up. If you know someone else can do it, then you can as well.

Objectives for life?

My submission:

Non nobis solum sed toti mundo nati.

(Not for ourselves but for the whole world were we born.)

-Istari

Originally posted by FZ+
Didn't someone say it was to accelerate entropy in the universe?

Where is alexander, btw?

life is not yours

I think that life and the way you chose to live it, is not your own work... you have to live as the others would accept and appreciate yout. it is a disaster and very egoist I think...

Evolution has determined the aim of life for the majority: to raise children.

Whether you choose to accept or ignore this aim is up to you.

what an approach?...

that it brings you freedom, friendship and thought (go epicure!)

1. What is the meaning of life?

The concept of a singular meaning of life is subjective and varies for each individual. Some believe it is to achieve happiness and fulfillment, while others see it as fulfilling certain religious or philosophical beliefs. Ultimately, the meaning of life is something that each person must define for themselves.

2. How can I discover my life's purpose?

Finding your life's purpose is a journey that involves self-reflection and exploration. It may involve trying new experiences, reflecting on your passions and values, and seeking guidance from mentors or counselors. It's important to remember that your purpose may also change and evolve over time.

3. Can your purpose in life change?

Yes, your purpose in life can change as you grow and have different experiences. It's natural for your goals and priorities to shift as you go through different stages of life. It's important to regularly reassess your purpose and make adjustments as needed.

4. Is it possible to have multiple purposes in life?

Yes, it's possible to have multiple purposes in life. Some people may have a career-related purpose, a family-related purpose, and a personal passion or hobby that they consider their purpose. Having multiple purposes can add variety and fulfillment to your life.

5. What if I haven't found my purpose yet?

It's normal to feel uncertain or lost when it comes to finding your purpose in life. Remember that it's a journey and it takes time to discover what truly drives and motivates you. Don't be afraid to try new things and seek guidance from others. Your purpose may also reveal itself naturally as you continue to grow and evolve as a person.