What Is Objective Universal Time and How Does It Conflict with Relativity?

In summary, "objective universal time" conflicts with the "spirit of relativity" because it requires an objective universal time that is not based on the relative speed of light.
kurt101
TL;DR Summary
How does objective universal time conflict with relativity?
In the thread is-the-small-world-uncertain-or-is-that-our-perception @mitchell porter said:
John Bell defined a more generally applicable approach in "Beables for Quantum Field Theory", but it conflicts with the spirit of relativity (in that it requires an objective universal time).
Can someone explain what "objective universal time" is and what it means for it to conflict with the "spirit of relativity"? Is this an aspect of interpretation where you could describe all events using "objective universal time" and it would be an equivalent description, but it would violate the language (spirit?) of relativity that we have decided to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
kurt101 said:
Summary:: How does objective universal time conflict with relativity?

In the thread is-the-small-world-uncertain-or-is-that-our-perception @mitchell porter said:

Can someone explain what "objective universal time" is and what it means for it to conflict with the "spirit of relativity"? Is this an aspect of interpretation where you could describe all events using "objective universal time" and it would be an equivalent description, but it would violate the language (spirit?) of relativity that we have decided to use?
There simply IS NO "universal time". All time is relative. That's at the heart of relativity. Google "relativity of simultaneity"

So "universal time" doesn't go against the "spriit" of relativity, it goes against the MATH of relativity.

phinds said:
There simply IS NOT "universal time". All time is relative. That's at the heart of relativity. Google "relativity of simultaneity"
So saying it conflicts with the spirit of relativity is equivalent to saying it conflicts with relativity and the use of the word "spirit" added no further meaning?

phinds said:
So "universal time" doesn't go against the "spriit" of relativity, it goes against the MATH of relativity.
Thanks for clarifying. Maybe some day it will click for me why "universal time" conflicts with the math of relativity. If we can model events on a simulator using the math of relativity, it seems as if we can agree on what simulator tick those events happened at. I can't really get past that logic, unless we are saying we can't really model events accurately on a simulator.

kurt101 said:
Thanks for clarifying. Maybe some day it will click for me why "universal time" conflicts with the math of relativity. If we can model events on a simulator using the math of relativity, it seems as if we can agree on what simulator tick those events happened at. I can't really get past that logic, unless we are saying we can't really model events accurately on a simulator.

Real life doesn't have a 'master clock' or 'tick system' by which to measure events by. You only have clocks in different reference frames.

kurt101 said:
An individual event certainly doesn't define universal time and the time BETWEEN two events will differ, depending on your reference frame. This is experimentally demonstrable.

Drakkith said:
Real life doesn't have a 'master clock' or 'tick system' by which to measure events by. You only have clocks in different reference frames.
That sounds like an interpretation of what you think the universe actually is. Another interpretation might be we are living in a simulation. Can these two interpretations share the same mathematical model? If the answer is yes, then don't I have to conclude that describing events with a universal time is mathematically equivalent way to describe the universe?

phinds said:
An individual event certainly doesn't define universal time and the time BETWEEN two events will differ, depending on your reference frame. This is experimentally demonstrable.
I am equating "universal time" to the simulator tick, not an individual event.

From the reference point of the simulation you can say exactly in simulation ticks when any event in the simulation happened. So can the math of relativity be accurately simulated? If the answer is yes, then how can I conclude anything other than that the universe can be conceptually and mathematically described in universal time?

There is no scientific evidence that we are living in a simulation, in fact I'm not sure that is even a meaningful concept. I don't know how you could investigate that question objectively since it involves talking about things that are "outside" of our reality.

kurt101 said:
From the reference point of the simulation you can say exactly in simulation ticks when any event in the simulation happened. So can the math of relativity be accurately simulated? If the answer is yes, then how can I conclude anything other than that the universe can be conceptually and mathematically described in universal time?
Well, if you want to believe we live in a simulation (ARE a simulation?) then you get to make up whatever rules you like. Good luck with that.

kurt101 said:
Another interpretation might be we are living in a simulation.

This is speculation and is off topic for this forum.

Thread closed.

What is objective universal time?

Objective universal time, also known as Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), is a standard time measurement system used globally to synchronize timekeeping and communication. It is based on the atomic time scale and is kept in sync with the Earth's rotation through the use of leap seconds.

How is objective universal time different from other time zones?

Unlike other time zones, objective universal time does not observe daylight saving time and is not affected by changes in regional time zones. It is a constant time measurement that remains the same regardless of location.

Why is objective universal time important?

Objective universal time is important because it allows for accurate and consistent time measurements across the globe. It is used in various industries such as aviation, telecommunications, and finance, where precise time synchronization is crucial.

How is objective universal time measured?

Objective universal time is measured using atomic clocks, which are highly accurate timekeeping devices that use the vibrations of atoms as a reference. These clocks are located at various international timekeeping centers, and their readings are used to determine the official UTC time.

Is objective universal time the same as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)?

No, objective universal time and Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) are not the same. GMT is based on the Earth's rotation and is affected by changes in the Earth's speed, while UTC is based on atomic time and is adjusted to account for changes in the Earth's rotation. However, the two are often used interchangeably in everyday language.