Objects Disappearing: Is It Possible?

• Thread starter DarkFalz
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of objects disappearing or moving out of nothing, and the implications of this on determinism and mathematical calculations. It is mentioned that conservation laws prevent such occurrences and that math exists because of these laws. The concept of "out of nothing" is also clarified and its connection to quantum systems is questioned.
DarkFalz
Hello,

i am a complete ignorant in quantum physics, still from what i have heard I've wondered the following: is it possible for an object to just disappear out of nothing? Or move from a place to another our of nothing? If it could it would mean that we cannot perform calculations in a determinist way, since i couldn't say 4 balls plus 4 balls equals 8 balls, what if tomorrow i count again and i have 7?

Physics news on Phys.org
DarkFalz said:
Hello,

i am a complete ignorant in quantum physics, still from what i have heard I've wondered the following: is it possible for an object to just disappear out of nothing? Or move from a place to another our of nothing? If it could it would mean that we cannot perform calculations in a determinist way, since i couldn't say 4 balls plus 4 balls equals 8 balls, what if tomorrow i count again and i have 7?

No, there are conservation laws that prevent that.

And it is valid to say that math can only exist because of these laws?

I think perhaps you might need to explain your "out of nothing" statement. I'm not sure what you mean by that. Do you mean without an apparent cause? Because correlating "out of nothing" to the "hopping" of quantum systems doesn't really make any sense, at least to me.

1. Can objects truly disappear without a trace?

While it may seem like objects can mysteriously vanish into thin air, there is usually a scientific explanation for their disappearance. In most cases, the object has either been moved or broken down into smaller pieces that are no longer recognizable.

2. Is it possible for an object to disappear due to a glitch in the fabric of space-time?

The concept of disappearing objects due to a glitch in space-time is often explored in science fiction, but there is currently no scientific evidence to support this idea. Our understanding of space-time and its laws suggests that objects cannot simply vanish without a trace.

3. Can objects disappear due to supernatural or paranormal phenomena?

While many people believe in supernatural or paranormal explanations for disappearing objects, there is no scientific evidence to support these claims. In most cases, there is a logical explanation for the disappearance of an object.

4. Do certain materials or objects have a higher chance of disappearing?

There is no evidence to suggest that certain materials or objects are more likely to disappear than others. However, objects that are smaller and easily misplaced, such as keys or jewelry, may seem to disappear more often due to human error.

5. Is it possible for objects to disappear and reappear in a different location?

In rare cases, objects may appear to have disappeared and then reappear in a different location due to pranks or practical jokes. However, there is no scientific evidence to support the idea of objects spontaneously moving from one place to another without human intervention.