Find Angle Needed for Objects to Topple Over - Tom

• Thread starter tomloaf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Falling
In summary, if you have a box 1m deep by 2m high weighing 50kg and then bold another box onto it at one end that is 0.275m deep by 2.5m high weighing 100kg. the center of gravity of the system is at (16.70, 0.275), so the angle you need to lift the larger box to so pivoting on the smaller boxes corner before it would topple over with the help of gravity and not just fall back to its starting position is 16.70 deg.
tomloaf
If I have a box 1m deep by 2m high weighing 50kg and then bold another box onto it at one end that is 0.275m deep by 2.5m high weighing 100kg.

Assuming each objects centre of gravity is central. At what angle would I need to lift the larger box to so pivoting on the smaller boxes corner before it would topple over with the help of gravity and not just fall back to its starting position?
Thanks
Tom

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Tom! Welcome to PF! :smile:

Use the rotational version of good ol' Newton's second law … τtotal = Iα

for α to be > 0, τtotal must be > 0,

(you needn't worry how much I is, it doesn't make any difference to whether Iα > 0, does it? :biggrin:)

so calculate τ (the torque or moment) for the weights (mg) of each of the two centres of mass :wink:

Sorry to sound stupid but how would i calculate this out then as i am not that brilliant at maths
tom

tomloaf said:
Sorry to sound stupid but how would i calculate this out then as i am not that brilliant at maths
tom

Good old wikipedia can help. Follow these short steps to enlightenment!

Type "www.wikipedia.org" in your browser.
Type the following "Mass Moments of Inertia"
Read article.

The subsequent article shall detail all prerequisite knowledge and information needed to calculate the center of gravity of your system.

Just a footnote: Extensive mathematics is not required for such an operation, short of addition, multiplication and/or division. Only knowledge of the physical system, i.e. physics.

Have a great day!

hi tom! :smile:
tiny-tim said:
so calculate τ (the torque or moment) for the weights (mg) of each of the two centres of mass :wink:
tomloaf said:

the weight acts vertically through the centre of mass …

so the torque (the moment) is the weight times the horizontal distance from the centre of mass to the pivot point (ie the edge it's about to tip over on) :wink:

If you are only tilting the top box, like it seemed to me from the description, then you only need to care for its center of gravity and the parameters of the bottom box are completely irrelevant to the problem. Which is weird, so I am assuming I didn't really understand the setup.
But still, here's my stab at it: I don't think you need to calculate torque or **** at all, just project the center of gravity of the top box straight down. If it is inside the base then the box will fall back to its base and be stable, if it is outside it will topple over. So the critical angle is the one when the box's diagonal section becomes vertical.

The set up is like this
I need to know the angle the indicated point can be raised before it topples over
Tom

Attachments

• sketch.pdf
    475.7 KB · Views: 326
tomloaf said:
I need to know the angle the indicated point can be raised before it topples over.
16.70 deg

sorry to sound like a teacher but can you show your working as i have some other calculations like this
tom

ok find the combined center of gravity, then see what the angle is when it is right above the pivoting edge.

1. What is the formula for finding the angle needed for an object to topple over?

The formula for finding the angle needed for an object to topple over is the tangent function, which is equal to the height of the object divided by its distance from the pivot point. This can be represented as tan(θ) = h/d, where θ is the angle, h is the height, and d is the distance from the pivot point.

2. How do you determine the height and distance of an object from the pivot point?

The height of an object can be measured directly using a ruler or measuring tape. The distance from the pivot point can be measured by placing the object on a flat surface and measuring the distance from the pivot point to the edge of the base of the object.

3. Can this formula be applied to any object?

Yes, this formula can be applied to any object as long as the height and distance from the pivot point are known. However, it is important to note that this formula assumes the object is a uniform shape and weight distribution.

4. What factors can affect the angle needed for an object to topple over?

The angle needed for an object to topple over can be affected by various factors such as the shape and weight distribution of the object, the surface it is placed on, and external forces such as wind or vibration.

5. How can this formula be useful in real-world applications?

This formula can be useful in various fields, such as engineering and construction, to determine the stability and safety of structures or objects. It can also be applied in physics experiments to understand the forces acting on objects and predict their behavior.