Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Objects in house moved-need some logical explanation

1. Aug 25, 2013 #1
    Objects in house moved--need some logical explanation

I currently reside in a 2 story single family home. Layout here. This past friday afternoon I noticed that two of my patio pillows (that looks like this) has moved from the patio couch. One was in the middle of the backyard lawn and the other was on the floor next to the couch.

Our gardener comes every Thursday morning, and we questioned him about this and he said he didn't see anything amiss on Thursday morning. Therefore my conclusion is that the pillow moved sometime afterwards. Our sprinklers turn on every morning. When I found the pillow on the grass, it was bone dry, which makes me wonder if it had sat out in the grass in the night, but probably not. The weather was hot, so the pillow possibly could have dried up by the afternoon. There was no wind, and even if it did, it would not explain how it moved that one pillow 30-40 ft across.

The side gates to the left are unlocked, so it's possible some stranger walked into my back yard and threw my pillow across the lawn for no apparent reason (although nothing else was amiss). I live in a quiet neighborhood in a cul-de-sac. There's hardly anyone on the street. This scenario is possible but very unlikely. Maybe the gardener threw my pillows? Possible, but again, unlikely. He could have lied about not seeing it, but very unlikely. The fence shown in the figure are intact with no holes to allow any animals/persons through, and tall enough to prevent climbing over. Again, my side gates are unlocked so it would be unnecessary for anyone to climb over. In addition, even if they had, the motive would be unclear. So my conclusion is that the possibility of another human being doing this to be unlikely.

My last deductive possibility is a wild cat climbing across the fence and played with these pillows. Again, seems unlikely, but that's the only possibility I have left. I'm not sure what the behaviors are of wildcats and whether they like to play with martha stewart pillows.

lastly, I was home most of Thurs and Fri and had no experience of anything amiss. My wife was at school both days and hadn't been out to the backyard at all (and she was the one who noticed it).

If anyone can think of any other plausible causes I would be interested in knowing.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 25, 2013 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Oops, I forgot about those. Sorry. :shy:

4. Aug 25, 2013 #3
    thanks for sarcasm :grumpy:

5. Aug 25, 2013 #4
    Or as Yoda would say
    Those sorry oops forgot I about.:smile:

where you walking outside taliking on your phone at all?

6. Aug 25, 2013 #5
    Nah, been sitting on the comp all day. haven't stepped foot to the backyard for several days (unless I sleep walked out)... pretty weird as far as im concerned.

7. Aug 25, 2013 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Raccoons?

8. Aug 25, 2013 #7

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The gardener decided to take a quick nap in the yard and forgot to replace the pillow when he was done

9. Aug 25, 2013 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Bored kids, or racoons. Even squirrels, last a year a squirrel stole a neighbor's DUFFLE BAG off their balcony and I found it in the squirrel's nest in a nearby tree! Amazing. The squirrels here are really bad about stealing. I have to be careful what i leave outside. I'm always finding my stuff dumped places after they got tired of dragging it.

10. Aug 25, 2013 #9

reenmachine

Gold Member

By the title I really thought someone mixed up this forum with another well-known one by physicsforums members :tongue2:

11. Aug 25, 2013 #10
    Interesting bit about the squirrel, at least it supports my guess about it being an animal that did this.

12. Aug 25, 2013 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Mind boggling what they've taken off with. Some I wouldn't have believed if I hadn't seen them, a flower pot! It was plastic, but it was bigger than the squirrel.

13. Aug 25, 2013 #12
    The story was so interesting and then you killed it with the logical explanations/rationale thinking. Deep down I
    was rooting for a cool ghost story...

I mean raccoons?

Arrested Development... COME ON! - YouTube

14. Aug 25, 2013 #13
    well, unless i actually capture some footage of this happening, this still could be a ghost story. i mean i do hear things that go bump in the night :uhh:

15. Aug 25, 2013 #14

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Raccoons exist; ghosts don't. Raccoons make things go bump in the night; ghosts can't because they don't exist.

Do you leave food around, like for a cat or dog?

16. Aug 25, 2013 #15
    As usual the answer is obviously ALIENS.

17. Aug 25, 2013 #16

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We used to have a string of the old-fashioned Christmas lights across the front fence of our property. One by one the bulbs were disappearing - I thought it was neighborhood kids. But years later we found the nest, a squirrel's nest with about a dozen Christmas light bulbs (they had to unscrew them, for crying out loud!!!1!), empty cans, lots of fluff (did they tear up a pillow?!), a few socks (none that I recognized). Strings, bits of rope and wire. Nails :confused:. Amazing what they find 'valuable'.

18. Aug 25, 2013 #17
    there are some fruit trees in the yard; dunno if they eat that kind of things, but otherwise no food outside.

19. Aug 25, 2013 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes indeed, they will go after fruit. They'll eat just about anything, especially high protein foods. Do you eat on the patio very much? Could there have been some food inadvertently spilled in the area, or on the pillows?

that made me lol :biggrin:

20. Aug 25, 2013 #19
    Is there any possibility that a monkey or chimp is hiding around your house and did everything ? I guess it might be so.

21. Aug 26, 2013 #20
    It was the daleks! Run for cover!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook