1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Objects moving in a plane.

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    I'm having terrible difficulty starting this problem, it's one of the chapter excercises in the book and it's revisited in the homework later on. I'm going to give different data, as I would like to actually solve this one myself, I just need a kick start...

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    We've got an object moving in a plane, no velocity is stated at all, just that it's moving. It's mass is 6.00 kg and it's coordinates are given by 2 equations, [tex]x = 4t^2 - 1[/tex] and [tex]y = 2t^3 + 6[/tex]. They are asking what the net force acting on this object is at time t = 5.00s.

2. Relevant equations
    I know somewhere in there I'm going to use kinematic equations. I started by trying to find [tex]\Delta X[/tex] and [tex]\Delta Y[/tex]...

Thanks to anyone who can point me in the right direction!
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 26, 2007 #2

Science Advisor

It's in a plane, so position, velocity, acceleration, and force are all vectors with x and y components. The position vector is (x,y)=(4t2-1,2t3+6). Can you find the velocity vector? (How is velocity related to position?) Then, can you find the acceleration vector? Then, can you find the force vector?
  4. Sep 26, 2007 #3
    Ah, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you so much! I was completely overlooking that.
  5. Sep 26, 2007 #4

Science Advisor

Glad to help.
  6. Sep 26, 2007 #5
    If I'm using position to get a velocity vector with the formula [tex]V_x_{avg} = \frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex], can I use t = 0 for my [tex]t_i[/tex]?
  7. Sep 26, 2007 #6

Science Advisor

You should be computing instantaneous velocity, not average velocity.

I assume this is a calculus-based course?
  8. Sep 26, 2007 #7
    For the formulas I have you still need [tex]\Delta x[/tex] and [tex]\Delta t[/tex]

[tex]v_x = lim_{\Delta t \rightarrow 0}\frac{\Delta x}{\Delta t}[/tex]

...and yes, this is calculus based.

I feel like I've missed a lesson or missed something in class.
  9. Sep 26, 2007 #8

Science Advisor

That limit defines the derivative of x with respect to t. Given x as a simple function of t, say, x=t2, can you compute the derivative dx/dt ?
  10. Sep 26, 2007 #9
    OH! So it would be 2t then... If the function was in fact [tex]t^2[/tex].
  11. Sep 26, 2007 #10
    You would need two formulas:

1. Newton's second law [itex] \mathbf{F} = m \mathbf{a} [/itex] and
    2. definition of components of the acceleration vector

[tex] a_x = d^2x(t)/dt^2 [/tex]
    [tex] a_y = d^2y(t)/dt^2 [/tex]

12. Sep 26, 2007 #11
    So, if my position in the x direction is a function of time, like [tex]x=2t^2[/tex] the derivative of that is [tex]4t[/tex] which should be my velocity in the x direction. Then a second derivative should give me 4 and that should be my acceleration in the x direction. Am I on the right track?
  13. Sep 26, 2007 #12
    Yes, you got it.

14. Sep 26, 2007 #13
    Thanks! It's much appreciated. Good thing I have a whole week to finish studying for my test!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?