Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Objects that move faster than Speed of light

1. Aug 27, 2016 #1
    Are objects beyond the observable universe in some sense moving faster the the speed of light. Given that objects at the edge of the observable universe are "maximally" red shifted, objects beyond that theoretically must be more red shifted, which is impossible. Is it therefore a nonsense to believe that anything exists beyond 13.8 billions light years away? I understand the answer is no, but I thought it an interesting topic.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2016 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

4. Aug 27, 2016 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Only in a coordinate dependent sense which has no physical relevance. If you want to be rigorous, there is no way of saying that two objects are moving with a particular relative speed unless they are at the same place (or sufficiently close so that spacetime can be considered locally flat).

This is a logical fallacy. It only means that the light from those objects will never reach you - which is the same statement that you started with.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted