Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

OBL Found!:National Security Agency satellite

1. Feb 21, 2004 #1
    OBL Found!:National Security Agency satellite

The area is under surveillance from a satellite while forces await orders, the newspaper said in its early Sunday edition, AFP reported. Bin Laden's whereabouts had been discovered from ``a combination of CIA paramilitaries and special forces, plus image analysis by geographers and soil experts,'' the newspaper reported, AFP said.

To contact the reporter on this story:
    Andrew Harrison at aharrison2@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor for this story:
    Peter Hannam at phannam@bloomberg.net

Last Updated: February 21, 2004 19:02 EST

The article says bin Laden's movements are monitored by a National Security Agency satellite.

Believe it or not?

IOW :what can 'satellites' do?
    anyone remember reports of Russians offering to 'bring rain' to put out fires in .....via 'satelilte'--as in 'changing weather' !!!
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2004 #2
    Amazing, if it's true.

It seems hard to believe they would print such a story at this point though, because of the danger of Bin Laden finding out they know and taking evasive action.
  4. Feb 22, 2004 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

You see that the story comes from a French paper citing an English paper. The English paper might well have been censored because Britain has a strong official secrets act, and no first amendment rights. But the French paper would have no concerns, quite the reverse, considering the coolness (to put it mildly) between France and the US.
  5. Feb 22, 2004 #4
    Yes, I see what you mean about the French being unconcerned.

It's not clear to me, though, how they could have known what info had been censored in the British paper. If it wasn't printed, how did they find out about it?
  6. Feb 22, 2004 #5

Science Advisor

Not untill I hear it form a better source, at least. In my experience, French newspapers are not very concerned with accuracy, either.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?