Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates: Exploring μ and the Earth

In summary, oblate spheroidal coordinates are a mathematical coordinate system used to describe the shape of an oblate spheroid. The formulas for converting to cartesian coordinates involve the parameters a, μ, ν, and φ. The value of μ determines the level of oblateness, with larger values resulting in a more spherical shape. The Earth is described as an oblate spheroid, with its μ value being related to the second-order zonal harmonic term in the formula for its potential. Spherical harmonics can also be used to approximate the Earth's shape and calculate its gravity at a particular point.
tony873004
Science Advisor
Gold Member
oblate spheriod
From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oblate_spheroidal_coordinates I'm given the formulas to compute cartesian coordinates from oblate spheroidal coordinates.

[tex]
\begin{array}{l}
x = a\cosh \mu \,\,\cos \nu \,\,\cos \phi \\
y = a\cosh \mu \,\,\cos \nu \,\,\sin \phi \\
z = a\cosh \mu \,\,\sin \nu \\
\end{array}

[/tex]

But I've got a few questions:

I've written a short block of code to plot an oblate spheroid:
Code:
mu = 0.5
For a = 0 To 100
    For nu = 0 To (2*pi) Step 0.02
        For phi = 0 To (2*pi) Step 0.02
            x = a * cosh(mu) * Cos(nu) * Cos(phi)
            y = a * cosh(mu) * Cos(nu) * Sin(phi)
            z = a * sinh(mu) * Sin(nu)
            Call PlotPoint(x, z)
        Next phi
    Next nu
Next a

What is μ ? I don't see it defined on Wikipedia's page. I image it is a number that describes how oblate the object is. So I imagine there should be a number I can set it to that gives me a sphere. My guess would be that mu can range from 0 to 1, with one of those limits giving me a sphere.

So I tried it. I see that μ = 0 gives me a straight line, meaning completely oblate, and the larger I set this number, the more spherical the shape becomes. But it seems to become a sphere at μ = 2, contrary to my guess. Any value larger than 2 gives me a larger sphere. Does anyone know exactly what μ is, and what it's range is?

Also, I see Earth described as an oblate spheroid. What is its μ value?

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
I think you have μ and a backwards: μ is one of the coordinates, and a is a scale parameter. The surfaces of constant μ are oblate spheroids; they are never spheres, since cosh μ and sinh μ never coincide. For large μ they may appear to be very close, though, so it would look quite like a sphere. If you're plotting using this coordinate system, you want to keep a constant and vary μ. The reason the coordinate system is defined that way is to make it orthogonal. You will only get a sphere if μ is very large (and a is accordingly small).

If you're just trying to plot an oblate spheroid, you might consider using stretched spherical coordinates like such:
x = r sin θ cos φ
y = r sin θ sin φ
z = kr cos θ.​
where your coordinates are (r, θ, φ) and k is a parameter.

Last edited:
Thanks.

The Wikipedia article says "Thus, the two foci are transformed into a ring of radius a in the x-y plane." That's why I was assuming that a defined the size and μ defined the shape.

I just tried swapping 'a' and μ in my code. Now as it draws concentric shells, they start out oblate and become more spherical the larger μ becomes. Before, the oblateness was consistent between the concentric shells, and their size varied from 0 to max as 'a' got larger.

adriank said:
If you're just trying to plot an oblate spheroid, you might consider using stretched spherical coordinates like such:

x = r sin θ cos φ
y = r sin θ sin φ
z = kr cos θ.
where your coordinates are (r, θ, φ) and k is a parameter.

Ulitmatey, what I'd like to do is a triple integral so I can compute the strength of Earth's gravity at a defined point in space, without approximating Earth as a point mass.

In that case, either coordinate system would work in principle, but it's probably a mess either way. I'm thinking it's probably better to use the stretched spherical coordinates, since in that case the volume element is just dV = kr2 sin θ dr dθ dφ.

tony873004 said:
Ulitmatey, what I'd like to do is a triple integral so I can compute the strength of Earth's gravity at a defined point in space, without approximating Earth as a point mass.

Use spherical harmonics instead. You can get spherical harmonics coefficients to more accuracy than you get ever envision using off the web. The gold standards
For a brief description of spherical harmonics as used in the realm of gravity modeling, see http://www.cdeagle.com/pdf/gravity.pdf. Also see Vallado, "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics and Applications".

For low accuracy (but better than a point mass model), you can just use the second-order zonal harmonic, J2 component, the negative of the unnormalized C2,0 component: J2 = 0.00108263.

The Earth's potential with this second-order zonal harmonic term is

[tex]U(r) = \frac {GM_{\text{earth}}} {r} \left(1+\left(\frac a r)^2 P_{2,0}(sin\phi)C_{2,0}\cos 2 \lambda+\cdots\right)[/tex]

where
  • [itex]P_{2,0}(x) = \frac 1 2 (3x^2 - 1)[/tex] is the second associated Legendre polynomial
  • [itex]a=6,378.135\,\text{km}[/itex] is the Earth's equatorial radius
  • [itex]r[/itex] is the radial distance from the center of the Earth to the point in question
  • [itex]\lambda[/itex] is the longitude of the point in question
  • [itex]\phi[/itex] is the geocentric (not geodetic) latitude (i.e. simple spherical geometry)

Last edited:
Thanks Adriank and DH. How does this formula know how oblate Earth is? Is it in C 2,0? For C 2,0, do I use .00108263, or the negative of that? Is this the number that describes how oblate Earth is?
Code:
Private Sub Command1_Click()
    Dim U As Double, G As Double, M As Double, a As Double, r As Double, C20 As Double
    Dim U2 As Double
    G = 6.6725985E-11: M = 5.97369125232006E+24: a = 6378135: r = 100000000#: lambda = 0.1: phi = 0.1: C20 = 0.00108263

U = (G * M / r ^ 2) * (1 + (a / r) ^ 2 * P20(Sin(phi)) * C20 * Cos(2 * lambda))
    U2 = G * M / r ^ 2 'point mass
End Sub

Private Function P20(x As Double) As Double
    P20 = 0.5 * (3 * x ^ 2 - 1)
End Function

In the above code, I squared the first instance of r to get acceleration, rather than potential. Is that valid to do in this equation? It seems to behave like I want, with the answer approaching the point mass approximation as r becomes large.

1. What are Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates?

Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates are a type of coordinate system used to represent points on the surface of a spheroidal object, such as the Earth. They are based on two parameters, μ and λ, which represent the angular distance from the equator and the longitudinal distance from a chosen reference point, respectively.

2. Why are Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates useful?

Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates are useful because they allow for a more accurate representation of the Earth's surface, as it is not a perfect sphere. They are also commonly used in geodesy and geophysics for mapping and measuring the Earth's surface.

3. How is μ determined in Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates?

μ, the angular distance from the equator, is determined by taking the ratio of the polar radius of the spheroidal object to the equatorial radius. This ratio is known as the flattening factor and is denoted by the letter f. The value of μ ranges from 0 at the equator to 1 at the poles.

4. How is λ determined in Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates?

λ, the longitudinal distance from a reference point, is determined using a meridian arc distance formula. This formula takes into account the curvature of the Earth's surface and can be used to calculate the distance between two points on the surface using their coordinates.

5. What is the significance of μ in Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates?

μ is a key parameter in Oblate Spheroidal Coordinates as it determines the shape of the coordinate system. It represents the angular distance from the equator and is directly related to the flattening factor of the spheroidal object. This parameter is crucial in accurately representing the Earth's surface in a coordinate system.