Understanding Oblique Asymptotes in Mathematical Functions

• Thread starter flash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Asymptote
In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of the function y = x + √|x| as x approaches infinity. It is determined that the function has an oblique asymptote at the line y = x, but the speaker is unsure and asks for clarification. The expert responds by suggesting to subtract x from both sides and plugging in larger values of x to determine if the difference between the value and x gets larger or smaller. The speaker also raises a comparison to a similar function, x^2 + x, and the expert agrees that both statements are true but to be an asymptote is a more stringent requirement.
flash
I am trying to draw the graph of

[tex]
y = x + \sqrt{|x|}
[/tex]

Can I say that as x approaches infinity, y approaches x? That would mean that the function has an oblique asymptote at the line y=x but I'm not sure.

Thanks for any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
y=x is an asymptote if (and only if):
y-x approaches zero as x approaches infinity.

Try subtracting x from both sides of your equation, and see whether the right-hand-side expression approaches zero or not.

Alternatively, you could plug in successively larger values of x into your expression (i.e, 100, then 1000, then 10,000).
Does the difference between the value and the value of x get larger or smaller?

Eg., for x = 100:
100 + sqrt(100) = ?
This number is ____ larger than 100.
Repeat for 1000, then 10,000.

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I was thinking, the difference gets larger as x gets larger. But then I thought, when you have a function like x^2 + x, it behaves more and more like x^2 as x gets larger. This function behaves more like x as x gets larger, doesn't it?

Both statements are true, these functions "behave more like" x^2 and x, respectively. However, to be an asymptote is a more stringent requirement.

It's likely that, if encountered in a physics or engineering application, you'd be completely justified in approximating the function simply by y=x for large x.

1. What is an oblique asymptote?

An oblique asymptote is a line that a curve approaches but never touches as it extends infinitely in both directions.

2. How is an oblique asymptote different from a vertical or horizontal asymptote?

A vertical asymptote is a vertical line that a curve approaches but never touches, and a horizontal asymptote is a horizontal line that a curve approaches but never touches. An oblique asymptote, on the other hand, is a slanted line that a curve approaches but never touches.

3. How can you find the equation of an oblique asymptote?

To find the equation of an oblique asymptote, you need to use long division or synthetic division to divide the numerator by the denominator of the rational function. The resulting quotient will give you the equation of the oblique asymptote.

4. Can a curve have more than one oblique asymptote?

No, a curve can only have one oblique asymptote. However, it can have multiple vertical or horizontal asymptotes.

5. What does it mean if a curve has no oblique asymptote?

If a curve does not have an oblique asymptote, it means that the function is either a polynomial or a rational function with a degree of numerator less than the degree of denominator. In other words, the curve will eventually touch or intersect with the x-axis as it extends infinitely.