Understanding Oblique Projection and its Geometry

• Thread starter fact0ry
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Projection
In summary, an oblique projection is defined as OP=WV*, where V*W=I. This type of projection is useful when working with non-orthonormal basis vectors. It allows for the calculation of coordinates in the non-orthonormal basis by dotting with the reciprocal frame vectors. The projection of a matrix can also be calculated using this method.
fact0ry
I cannot visualise an oblique projection. I understood the orthogonal one:
The orthogonal projection is P=U[tex]\cdot[/tex]U*, where U is an orthonormal matrix (basis of a subspace) : U*[tex]\cdot[/tex]U=I .
Now the projection of matrix A on U vectors is: PA=U*[tex]\cdot[/tex]A[tex]\cdot[/tex]U .

For the orthogonal projection, for a vector case, the geometry is simple: you project a vector x on the direction of a vector v, and the projected vector is the one from the origin to the base of the perpendicular from x on the direction v: vv*x = vk, where k is the length of the projection (the coordinate of x in v direction), k=v*x = |v|*|x|*cos(v,x)= x*cos (where |v|=1).

Now an oblique projection is defined as:
OP=WV* , where V*W=I. So the oblique projection of A is OPA=V*AW.

Can you please explain what an oblique projection is? Geometrically I mean. For a vector case first. I'm guessing the projection of vector x should be the vector in the direction of w but up to the point where the direction of v through x intersects the direction of w. But v*w = I. I cannot see this in a plane :confused: .
Not to mention the projection of a matrix (the column vectors of it I guess). A drawing would be nice :D.

Physics news on Phys.org
One use of these sorts of projections is for working with non-orthonormal basis vectors. In that case it can be convient to work with pairs [itex] e^i \cdot e_j = \delta^i_j[/itex], where the set of vectors [itex]\{e^i\}[/itex] is called a reciprocal frame. The reciprocal frame can be used to calculate coordinates for any vector in the non-orthonormal basis (the one it is reciprocal to). Roughly speaking, dotting with the reciprocal frame computes the projections onto your non-orthonormal basis.

Exactly the sort of oblique projection matrix products you are using above can be used to calculate the set of reciprocal frame vectors.

Thanks Peeter for your reply.

So in my example, the non-orthonormal basis would be W and V would be its reciprocal frame?
By multiplying V*AW, I get the coordinates in the non-orthonormal basis W (in cols(W) directions) by dotting V*A ?

I wasn't actually sure what you meant by the projection of the matrix.

Last year when I was blundering through these ideas I did write up some notes for myself and have them here if you are interested.

http://sites.google.com/site/peeterjoot/geometric-algebra/oblique_proj.pdf

Page 7, 'Projection using reciprocal frame vectors', explains more completely what I was describing above.

1. What is oblique projection?

Oblique projection is a type of 3-dimensional drawing in which an object is viewed at an angle, rather than straight-on. This creates the illusion of depth and allows for better visualization of the object.

2. How is oblique projection different from other types of projections?

Unlike orthographic projection, which shows an object from a top, front, and side view, oblique projection displays the object at an angle. It also differs from perspective projection, which uses a vanishing point to create a realistic view of the object.

3. What is the purpose of using oblique projection?

Oblique projection is commonly used in technical and architectural drawings to show all three dimensions of an object in a single view. It also allows for easier measurement and calculation of angles and dimensions.

4. What is the geometry behind oblique projection?

Oblique projection uses a 45-degree angle between the horizontal and vertical axes to create a more realistic view of the object. This results in a true-to-scale representation of the object's height, width, and depth.

5. Are there different types of oblique projection?

Yes, there are two main types of oblique projection: cavalier and cabinet projection. Cavalier projection has a 45-degree angle between the horizontal and vertical axes, while cabinet projection has a 63.4-degree angle between these axes, resulting in a more realistic and less distorted view of the object.