Observation Definition - What Is It?

In summary, observation in a physics context refers to an outcome of an experiment that can be recorded and communicated, and any action or experiment that achieves this can be considered an observation. In the quantum context, an observation result is a true logical statement and can occur when a quantum system interacts with an outside agency. However, this raises questions about the definitions of "interaction" and "outside agency."
scilover89
Can someone tell me the definition of observation?

Physics news on Phys.org
scilover89 said:
Can someone tell me the definition of observation?

It is of course a very subtle issue. First of all, "observation" as such doesn't, I think, have any meaning. You have to observe *something*, and that something, in a physics setting, is "an outcome of experiment" (which can go from very sophisticated to trivial).
I would then say that an outcome of experiment is observed, if (at least in principle) it is possible to write down that outcome on a sheet of paper which can be send to a newspaper, and any action/setup/experiment that performs this, is an observation.

cheers,
Patrick.

Hi,

I would say that any quantum system can be said to have been observed if it interacts with an outside agency.

juju

Last edited:
In the quantum context, I will say that an observation result is simply a logical statement that is true (e.g. the particle is observed at position x <=> "the result of the observation is x" is true).

Seratend.

juju said:
Hi,

I would say that any quantum system can be said to have been observed if it interacts with an outside agency.

juju

Now you have to explain what "interaction" and "outside agency" mean. You've just doubled your workload.

1. What is the definition of observation?

Observation is the process of using our senses to gather information and data about the world around us. It involves carefully watching and recording what we see, hear, smell, taste, and touch.

2. How is observation used in scientific research?

In scientific research, observation is used to collect data and information about a particular phenomenon. This data is then analyzed to draw conclusions and make inferences about the phenomenon being studied.

3. What are the different types of observation?

There are two main types of observation: qualitative and quantitative. Qualitative observation involves using our senses to describe and record characteristics and behaviors. Quantitative observation involves using instruments and tools to measure and record numerical data.

4. What is the importance of observation in science?

Observation is crucial in science because it allows scientists to gather empirical evidence and data to support or refute their hypotheses. It also helps to ensure the accuracy and objectivity of scientific research.

5. How can one improve their observational skills?

Observational skills can be improved by practicing mindfulness and paying attention to details. Additionally, using tools and techniques such as note-taking, sketching, and recording data can help to enhance observational abilities.