1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observation definition

1. Apr 30, 2005 #1
    Can someone tell me the definition of observation?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2005 #2

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It is of course a very subtle issue. First of all, "observation" as such doesn't, I think, have any meaning. You have to observe *something*, and that something, in a physics setting, is "an outcome of experiment" (which can go from very sophisticated to trivial).
    I would then say that an outcome of experiment is observed, if (at least in principle) it is possible to write down that outcome on a sheet of paper which can be send to a newspaper, and any action/setup/experiment that performs this, is an observation.

cheers,
    Patrick.

4. Apr 30, 2005 #3
    Hi,

I would say that any quantum system can be said to have been observed if it interacts with an outside agency.

juju

Last edited: Apr 30, 2005
  5. May 1, 2005 #4
    In the quantum context, I will say that an observation result is simply a logical statement that is true (e.g. the particle is observed at position x <=> "the result of the observation is x" is true).

Seratend.

6. May 1, 2005 #5
    Now you have to explain what "interaction" and "outside agency" mean. You've just doubled your workload.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?