How Do You Calculate Observed Angular Velocity from a Reference Frame?

In summary, the angular velocity is the rate of change of the angle on an object as measured in radians.
Adorno

Homework Statement

Determine the observed angular velocity from the origin of the reference frame for an object shown in the figure. The observed angular velocity is defined as the rate with which the observed direction on the object (measured in radians) changes in time.

f0de3827222c4c5651df70ae25b657e9.png

Hint: The observed angular velocity is the ratio [itex]\omega_0 = \Delta \varphi_0 / \Delta t[/itex], where [itex]\Delta t = t_2 - t_1[/itex] and [itex]\Delta \varphi_0 = \varphi_0(t_1^*) - \varphi_0(t_2^*)[/itex] is the change of the angle [itex]\varphi[/itex], the polar angle which the star position had at times [itex]t_1^*[/itex] and [itex]t_2^*[/itex]. These are the times when the light detected by the observer at [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex] was emitted. The object is located at [itex](x_1, y_1)[/itex] at time [itex]t_1^*[/itex] and it is located at [itex](x_2, y_2)[/itex] at time [itex]t_2^*[/itex]. However, [itex]t_1[/itex] and [itex]t_2[/itex],the observation times at the origin for these two events, are different from [itex]t_1^*[/itex] and [itex]t_2^*[/itex] because light takes a certain time to propagate from the object to the origin of the coordinate system.

Homework Equations

[itex]\omega = \Delta \varphi_0 / \Delta t[/itex]
[itex]\omega = \frac{|\vec{v}|sin(\theta)}{|\vec{r}|}[/itex] (alternative formula for angluar velocity)

The Attempt at a Solution

Before I knew about the alternative formula for angular velocity, I tried solving this question like this:

[itex]t_1 = d_1/c + t_1^*[/itex], where [itex]d_1 = \sqrt{x_1^2 + y_1^2}[/itex] and
[itex]t_2 = d_2/c + t_2^*[/itex], where [itex]d_2 = \sqrt{x_2^2 + y_2^2}[/itex]. Also [itex]\varphi_0(t_1^*) = arctan(y_1/x_1)[/itex] and [itex]\varphi_0(t_2^*) = arctan(y_2/x_2)[/itex], so that [itex]\Delta \varphi_0 / \Delta t = \frac{arctan(y_1/x_1) - arctan(y_2/x_2)}{d_1/c + t_1^* - d_2/c - t_2^*}[/itex].

I think that this is technically correct, but my lecturer said that this isn't what he wanted. He said that we should consider the angle [itex]\Delta \varphi_0[/itex] to be very small, and that this question could be solved using some basic geometry. I'm pretty bad at geometry so I can't see what I'm supposed to do, but I think it must involve the angle [itex]\theta[/itex] in the diagram and the alternative formula for angular velocity. Could anyone help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe expand out arctan (Taylor series) and see what happens? idk how that would make it prettier (only first approximation)

Well, as I say, I don't think that what I did at first is what they wanted. I think I have to use the formula given in the question, [itex]\omega_0 = \Delta \varphi_0 / \Delta t[/itex], as well as the geometry of the diagram to get a new expression for the angular velocity. The question doesn't say what kind of expression I'm supposed to get. Now that I think about, it may be that they want me to derive the other formula for angular velocity, i.e. [itex]\omega = \frac{|\vec{v}|sin(\theta)}{|\vec{r}|}[/itex], using the geometry of the diagram. I'm not quite sure how to do this though.

1. What is observed angular velocity?

Observed angular velocity refers to the rate at which an object rotates or moves around a fixed axis, as perceived by an observer. It is typically measured in radians per second.

2. How is observed angular velocity different from angular velocity?

While angular velocity is the actual rate of rotation of an object, observed angular velocity takes into account the perspective of an outside observer. It can differ from the actual angular velocity depending on the reference frame and relative motion of the observer and the object.

3. What factors affect observed angular velocity?

Observed angular velocity can be affected by the speed and direction of the object's rotation, the distance between the object and the observer, and the angle at which the observer views the rotation.

4. How is observed angular velocity measured?

Observed angular velocity can be measured using a variety of tools such as a tachometer, an accelerometer, or an optical device like a stroboscope. These instruments record the rotation of an object and can calculate its observed angular velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of observed angular velocity?

Observed angular velocity is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and astronomy. It can be used to measure the rotational speed of motors and engines, track the movement of celestial bodies, and study the motion of objects in space.