Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observer or Participant?

1. Observer

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Participant

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Aug 25, 2004 #1
    This is just to be a bit of fun but also to express whether or not you think that the quantum physicist should be labelled an observer or a participant? And also why or why not? I mean I think this is such a great subject, but it may be really boring to some people!

(sorry about the spelling error in the poll - I dont know how to edit it!)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2004 #2
    Bishop Berkeley - perceiving perception

Fun topic!

I'm pondering a post about the observer function...

Doesn't Quantum physics, or at least observation of observation, show that the observer necessarily changes the outcome? I've been pondering, just like Quantum sciences makes for rethinking many things, wouldn't we have to accept that all findings are biased or at least influenced by the viewer? Huh?

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but Bishop Berkeley's writings about we only know what our perceptions perceive used to put me in a mental loop, now I'm just sharing that loop! he he..

Can ANY observation be uninfluenced by the observer? Is this possible at all?

4. Aug 29, 2004 #3
    Nope, I'll take on any system you throw at me. :smile:

5. Aug 29, 2004 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I've known people like that- no matter how carefully you set up the experiment for them, as soon as they get near the apparatus it all starts to come apart!:smile:

6. Aug 30, 2004 #5
    Yes, using this poll I have observed it, out of the two options I have declined to check either boxes!

The two INITIAL options pre-determined my NO-Participation! :smile:

Q?..will my none-participation have a baring on the poll outcome? :approve:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?