Is the observer truly separate from the observed?

• Thread starter energyflash
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observer
In summary, the poll does not appear to be affected by the non-participation of the quantum physicist.

What the quantum physicist be called?

• Observer

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Participant

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters
energyflash
This is just to be a bit of fun but also to express whether or not you think that the quantum physicist should be labelled an observer or a participant? And also why or why not? I mean I think this is such a great subject, but it may be really boring to some people!

(sorry about the spelling error in the poll - I don't know how to edit it!)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Bishop Berkeley - perceiving perception

Fun topic!

I'm pondering a post about the observer function...

Doesn't Quantum physics, or at least observation of observation, show that the observer necessarily changes the outcome? I've been pondering, just like Quantum sciences makes for rethinking many things, wouldn't we have to accept that all findings are biased or at least influenced by the viewer? Huh?

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but Bishop Berkeley's writings about we only know what our perceptions perceive used to put me in a mental loop, now I'm just sharing that loop! he he..

Can ANY observation be uninfluenced by the observer? Is this possible at all?

Teo1 said:

Nope, I'll take on any system you throw at me. :smile:

I've known people like that- no matter how carefully you set up the experiment for them, as soon as they get near the apparatus it all starts to come apart!:smile:

Teo1 said:
Fun topic!

I'm pondering a post about the observer function...

Doesn't Quantum physics, or at least observation of observation, show that the observer necessarily changes the outcome? I've been pondering, just like Quantum sciences makes for rethinking many things, wouldn't we have to accept that all findings are biased or at least influenced by the viewer? Huh?

Sorry to answer a question with a question, but Bishop Berkeley's writings about we only know what our perceptions perceive used to put me in a mental loop, now I'm just sharing that loop! he he..

Yes, using this poll I have observed it, out of the two options I have declined to check either boxes!

The two INITIAL options pre-determined my NO-Participation! :smile:

Q?..will my none-participation have a baring on the poll outcome? :approve:

1. What is the difference between an observer and a participant in scientific research?

An observer is someone who simply observes and records data without actively participating in the study, while a participant is actively involved in the study and may be subjected to certain interventions or treatments.

2. When is it appropriate to use an observer instead of a participant in research?

An observer is typically used when the research involves sensitive or personal information, such as in a survey or questionnaire, where participants may be more comfortable disclosing information to someone who is not directly involved in the study.

3. Can someone be both an observer and a participant in a study?

Yes, it is possible for someone to take on both roles in a study. For example, a researcher may observe a group of participants and also participate in the group discussions or activities.

4. How does the role of an observer or participant affect the validity of the research?

The role of an observer or participant can greatly influence the validity of the research. Observers may be more objective in their observations, while participants may be more biased due to their personal involvement in the study. It is important for researchers to carefully consider which role is most appropriate for their study in order to minimize bias and ensure the validity of their findings.

5. Are participants always aware of their role in a study?

In most cases, participants are fully aware of their role in a study, as they have given consent to participate and are often given information about the study beforehand. However, in certain cases, such as in covert observation studies, participants may not be aware of their role as they are being observed without their knowledge.