Is the Screen an Observer in the Double Slit Experiment?

• Thread starter johny_g
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Observation
In summary, the double slit experiment shows that a photon will take both slits simultaneously if there is no observer present. However, the moment an observer is present, the photon will only take one of the slits.
johny_g
I am new to this field as will be apparent from my questions. I have a doubt in the basics that has been bugging me for days. This is about the original double slit experiment.

As we all know that in the experiment, there is a double slit and a screen that displays the result of a photon (say) bombardment. My confusion is that I find it hard to understand whether the screen is an observer or not. I mean, the moment we placed a screen in front of the double slit as an act to observe which slit the photon is coming from, the probability wave should have collapsed and the photon should have chosen a single slit to get through (I am focusing only on the result; not the inference).

In other words when there is no background screen, the photon will be taking both slits simultaneously; but the moment an observer steps in, which in this case is the screen, why doesn’t the wave collapse? We know that it doesn’t; so how can we conclude that an observer collapses the photon from a wave to a particle? If the screen is not an observer, why does the photon hit at only one point of the screen in case of a single slit or no slit...to hide the which-way info, why doesn't it behave as a wave.

It is apparent that I am missing something basic here. Any inputs will be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the screen is an "observer", or something that is related to an (apparent) wave function collapse. If you want to understand how the apparent collapse may take place without a true collapse, see also about the Bohm interpretation.

The how part was never my problem...just the what. Also, I am aware of Bohm's interpretation. Anyways, thanks for the response!

1. What is the purpose of an observer in scientific research?

An observer is a person or instrument that collects data and records observations in a scientific study. The purpose of an observer is to objectively document and report on the phenomena being studied in order to gain a better understanding of it.

2. How do observers ensure the validity and reliability of their observations?

Observers must follow strict protocols and procedures to ensure the validity and reliability of their observations. This includes using standardized methods, recording observations in a systematic and unbiased manner, and avoiding personal bias or interpretation.

3. Can observers influence the outcome of a study?

Yes, observers can potentially influence the outcome of a study if they are not careful. This is why it is important for observers to follow strict protocols and avoid personal bias or interpretation in their observations.

4. What are the different types of observers used in scientific research?

There are two main types of observers used in scientific research: human observers and mechanical observers. Human observers are individuals who directly observe and record data, while mechanical observers use instruments or technology to collect and record data.

5. Can observers make mistakes in their observations?

Yes, observers can make mistakes in their observations. These mistakes can be caused by human error, such as misreading or misinterpreting data, or errors in the measuring instruments being used. It is important for observers to carefully review and double-check their observations to minimize the chances of making mistakes.