Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Observing a system N times

1. Sep 6, 2010 #1
    A large system with property [itex]p[/itex] is observed many times. The average of this property after [itex]N[/itex] observations is
    [tex]\langle p \rangle_N = \frac{1}{N}\sum^N_{i=1}p_i[/tex]
    where [itex]p_i[/itex] is the [itex]i[/itex]th observation.

(a) Suppose only three values of [itex]p[/itex] are possible, [itex]a[/itex], [itex]b[/itex], and [itex]c[/itex], and these values have the probabilities [itex]x_a[/itex], [itex]x_b[/itex], and [itex]x_c = 1 - x_a - x_b[/itex], respectively. Assume [itex]N[/itex] is large and that each observation is uncorrelated with the next. Determine the expected size of possible deviations from [itex]\langle p \rangle_\infty[/itex]. Express your result in terms of [itex]\langle p \rangle_\infty[/itex] and [itex]N[/itex].

(b) More generally, supposing that all the measurements are uncorrelated, show the variance per measurement, [itex]\langle [p-\langle p \rangle_{\infty}]^{2} \rangle_{\infty}/N[/itex], is independent of [itex]N[/itex] and determine the uncertainty in [itex]p[/itex], i.e., determine the expected size of possible deviations from the mean value.

For part (a), I think I need to determine the value of [itex]\langle [\langle p \rangle_{N} - \langle p \rangle_{\infty}]^2 \rangle^\frac{1}{2}[/itex], but I'm really not sure where to start with this. I believe that [itex]\langle p \rangle_\infty = x_a a + x_b b + (1-x_a-x_b) c[/itex] but I'm not sure how this helps (especially since the answer should be in terms of [itex]\langle p \rangle_\infty[/itex]).

For (b) I'm pretty lost as well. Maybe if I can get a handle on part (a), it will be easier.

Thanks in advance for any pointers or hints on where to get started!
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted